Trumpeter 1/32 Junkers Ju 87A "Anton" *Done! 11/19/14*

mywifehatesmodels

Yes....yes....

Gees i love eyes to atention...small unececarry things...but wait...them smal things are important whdn sweing it all....and it looks right and cool too....

I love this knowledge.....

John i lovw it...just love it....

/Mal

Thanks again to everyone for your input! You're all basically confirming some of the same things that I've been suspicious of, so maybe I'm not crazy, after all (well, maybe not totally, anyway! LOL).

I totally agree about the back plate of the spinner and the continuation of the lines from the forward fuselage, going into the spinner. All of this is precisely why I didn't want to just chuck the kit spinner in a drill and start sanding away at it. I knew this wasn't going to happen in one shot, especially with me at the controls. :wacko: :huh: ^_^  As for the shape of the fuselage just behind the spinner, I agree that the kit's slope is probably not perfect. However, keep in mind that the pictures I've taken of the kit are not from the exact same angles as the original photos. Another issue is the scoop at the very top front. It appears as though it protrudes higher than the original, making the whole situation look even worse than it probably is. This is something that I don't really want to get into, because if I start going any further fixing every little thing, I could probably turn this "quick build" into a three month project. It's already going to be well over the time I wanted to spend on it. At this point, I just want to get the spinner to an acceptable (to me, but I do appreciate everyone's input) shape and move on the the prop blades so I can get this beast finished. As a manager/mentor in my former career liked to say, "Sometimes, John, you just have to pick your battles". I've already picked several battles on this kit and may even win some of them. But, I'm not going to all out war over it.  :)

The spats are my current battle. I'll get back to the spinner, later on. So far, I think I've got the issues pretty much worked out with the spats. If there is one more thing that I may want to take a look at, before finishing work on the spats, it would probably be the tail wheel. As I noted in the first post, this is another area of this kit where Trumpeter got it wrong. If you look at the tail wheel strut, it looks a lot like the one used on the V3 prototype, but not any of the production models (at least that I'm aware of). So, I'll be replacing that. Now, this may have an effect on how the spats look, as well. Specifically, what their angle is in relation to the ground (depending on the tail wheel height, of course). I think I'll be close enough in this area, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the help!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Don't let the spinner issues bog you down.  You're doing a great job and I'm enjoying it immesely.  Even if you get the spinner perfect, it won't look right on the cowl.  This is because Trumpeter incorrectly molded everything with up-thrust when in fact there should be about one degree of down thrust.  If you shim the top front of the cowl about .030 you will be amazed at how your corrected spinner suddenly looks right.  The shim is simple but of course it will exaggerate the incorrect upward line of the exhausts.

Here's a picture at the right angle if you don't already have it

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/BruceHunt/Discussions/Ju87A04f2565b.jpg~original

Oh, BTW, since when is three months not a quick build??? :)

Thanks for your input, Bruce. I'm not too worried about it. My goal was just to improve the looks of a few things, rather than "correct" them. I don't expect any of it to be absolutely perfect and I surely won't lose any sleep over it. As for three months being a "quick build", well, you got me there. :D I've had several builds that took several months, or even years to complete, but I'm trying to avoid getting into such projects these days. I have time to work on models most of every day, so my three months may be the same as a year for someone else. But, when I want a "quick build", these days, I'm looking at something that I can complete in less than a couple/few weeks on my schedule. And, I even consider myself to be a slow builder. :shrug:

I'll get back to the spinner, this week. I took today off, but actually did a little more work, last night. I have at least one more option I want to try before making a decision on what to go with, but I can say that I'm pretty much coming to the same conclusion that you posted earlier, with regards to the kit spinner. There's just not enough there to do a really good job of it unless you add enough material to basically make it a new part, anyway.

Thanks again,

John

John ,

Spats look much better

Got the issue noted down lol im doing my own tweak list just from taking notes from your build :D , It is to say the least very educational and we all thank you for that  :bow:

Great progress - looking forward to more  :clap2:

Karim

Great job mate.

I'm currently fiddling with a B2 stuka.  I encountered the same issues with the outer wing fit no matter how hard I tried to get them flush before gluing. I went the same way as well.  Neat up top but gap under where it's more hidden. :evil_laugh:

The Instrument panel is a real Friday afternoon 6pm special...wot the hell were they thinking?  You saved that beautifully with your tweak. I'm still staring at mine deciding if my pilot will rely on Jedi powers and just use the Force.

Great tips on the correction to the cockpit parts and awesome seat cushions by the young miss...mine have also built Dino's. ( I still love Dino docos)

Spats waaaay better with your tweak - Nice photos from Andy

Good luck with the spinner.  the photo looks good quality.  I noticed the horizon line in the background contrasting nicely which might give you a baseline level from which to manipulate all the other angles.

Oh...you'll chuckle...I had no idea what that thing was you were using for the clear rectangular insert.  Can't half tell I'm not conditioned to snow eh? :rolleyes:

Interesting discussion with ROG on its use as a weapon system. Erik Brown is fascinating to listen to.  He's full of myth busting real world knowledge because he was either there, knew the people personally, or has test flown it.  He's a bit of an aviation and historical treasure that fella.

Imagine being a hot shot ground attack pilot bagging out Stukas, telling everyone how awesome your plane is...then Rudel walks through the door?  I swear that guy discovered unlimited ammo and God mode on the Russian front.

Cheers Matty

Thanks, everyone.

My resin should be here today. However, my computer died, late yesterday. So, that will probably take all/most of my time now, until I get it fixed, but we'll see.

Matty,

I did get a chuckle out of that and I'm glad I had the forethought to explain what that device was. Consider yourself lucky that you're not so familiar with one! LOL! I would love to see your B2 build. I still need one in the lineup, too.

I will try to get whatever work done that I can while my computer is down. My fingers are crossed.

Thanks again,

John

Okay, my computer is back up and running. Turned out to be an issue with the boot config. Glad it wasn't anything more serious!

I did manage to get a little more work done. Working with the new resin is SO much better than the 3 year old batch I was using. Night and day difference between fresh product vs. old. I started by knocking out a bunch more wheels and getting a feel for how to do it without getting any major bubbles (I basically have to give the mold a squeeze when it's almost full, then add a little more resin). These are but a couple, but I have others that are even better and will be the ones I use on the model.

20141104_221658_zpsba8bfa4d.jpg

I already have both spats cut and now I can get the wheels painted and installed with the gear. After that, I'll get the spats all together and patch them up.

I also went back to the spinner, again. I made sure to get molds of all the parts, then I assembled the kit parts and tried turning them down on my drill press. It took a while to get it balanced properly, but I finally managed to do so. The turned down kit spinner is still not going to cut it for me (We'll call that prototype #3). There's not enough plastic there to really work it down to where it needs to be. Not to mention, there are also issues with the location of the prop blade holes and, especially, their size, due to the "chubby" props. So, I started working on the P-40 spinner idea, once again. I inserted the backplate of the 87 into the back of a hollowed out resin P-40 spinner. The first one (we'll call it prototype #4) was just to give me an idea of whether or not this was going to work. And, I was actually surprised to see that the overall shape was turning out better than any of the previous versions. Unfortunately, Prototype #4 was destroyed when I tried to enlarge the holes for the prop blades. That didn't bother me, though, because I knew that I was getting close.

Prototype #5 is based off the same idea. I took a slightly different approach in how I enlarged the prop holes, though. Instead of trying to drill them, I worked them from the back of the spinner, moving forward, with a file. This worked MUCH better. I was going to post a photo diagram of that, but for some reason photobucket refuses to upload it. :blowup: I'll give it another try, later tonight.

I also worked on one of the prop blades. I'm going to use it as a master and mold new ones, so that I don't have to attempt to sculpt them all exactly the same (I still have hair and would like to keep as much as I can by the time I'm finished with this build. Whether it's gray, or not, I can live with :D ).  The stock kit part is on the left and the modified part on the right.

20141105_153308_zpsfd1da24c.jpg

I'll post another update tonight. I have more pics and things to share, but right now I have to go feed the wife and kids before I start getting dirty looks.

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I was finally able to get a picture that PB would take. :rolleyes:

This is a casting of the P-40 spinner. It shows the approximate location where the backplate of the spinner would be (red line), as well as how the holes for the prop need to be moved forward.

20141105_193619_zps42754a06.jpg

Being that the prop blades are now going to be smaller in diameter and moved forward, I had to extend the tabs on the back plate that slide in behind the blades. This picture shows the tabs, as well as the rest of the spinner that has been turned on the press to get the basic shape. It actually looks even better, now, but I'll post more pics once it's completed. I'm fairly certain that this will be the final part used on the model. I may make a mold of it, however, just to be safe. After putting a couple hours into it, I would hate to have something go wrong and not have a backup!

20141105_133853_zps5f0aebf2.jpg

John

I'm impressed with your tenacity on this, my patience would have run aground long before I got this far. Probably why I have so many unfinished kits scattered about. Great work so far, should be a work of art when you get it done !