Which Wingnut Wing set to start with?

A62213

Hi,

I have thirty or so WNW kits on the shelf and have built several more. I would suggest the Junkers J.1 or the Rumpler for a first try. I am currently building the DFW and finding wonderfully detailed but a bit tricky in places.

Dave

Being that you've decided on the DFW, and have EZ line, I'd suggest Bob Buckles, Gaspatch turnbuckles, or Radus PE turnbuckles; each will have their own strengths, and weaknesses. Please keep in mind that the fit and tolerances on WNW kits are press-fit tight. You will find yourself doing many small sub assemblies to get the look you want. The best way to start might be to study the assembly sequence carefully, it can be easy to get ahead of yourself, and find yourself locked out of an easy process. For example, pre-drilling rigging holes early on, so you have easy access to the area in question. You will find WNW plastic very workable, and can be drilled and sanded to fine shapes and tolerances.  

The trick to chopping one up is to make an E.lll look like a CF-104 2 seater when you're done!  Then I'll know you're REALLY good!   :rofl:

Then you WOULD be good!!!     :lol:     Id take a CF-104 if Sir Peter ever decided to grace us with one for some strange reason.  You know it would sell too. Hell, absolutely guaranteed, anything WWII Sir Peter made would sell like free fried gold.

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 1 month later...

Looks good! You'll need to test fir the lower wing "hoof" to the fuselage for the correct fit. IIR, sand away about 1/2 mm from the front. Also, it is best to leave the upper and lower wing panels off while you fir the struts. The outer panels can then be fit together.

Guest Clunkmeister

I love the Junkers! As Mike said, sand off a bit from the lower wing foot before attaching the lower wing. If you don't, the struts will be a touch too short instead of snapping into place as they should.

And don't attach the outer wing panels to the top center section until everything is done. That top wing is wonky and wobbly until every strut is in place. Then it's rock solid.

Also, trim a our 1/16" from the inside of the aileron counterbalances to tighten up the gap on the inner edges.

The Junkers is the centerpiece of my display case, it's that unique, and nobody knows what it is!

I've been recently struggling with this question too, and decided on the Roland C.II as a first kit. It has a pretty simple paint scheme and a small amount of rigging to get a little experience with, but not too much to be overwhelming for a first timer. Got some EZ Line that I bought a long time ago (package says Bobe's Hobby Shop), and I'm going to try some of Radu's PE turnbuckles.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_68&products_id=403