New 1/32 Sabre Dog on it's way!

Royboy

What is the difference between this aircraft and the Korean War version?

Quite a bit. The Sabre Dog was developed from the F-86, but is essentially it's own aircraft. Lengthened and widened fuselage, guns deleted, rockets added in underside launcher, radar fitted to the nose, larger tail surfaces and a clamshell vs. sliding canopy.

Quite a bit. The Sabre Dog was developed from the F-86, but is essentially it's own aircraft. Lengthened and widened fuselage, guns deleted, rockets added in underside launcher, radar fitted to the nose, larger tail surfaces and a clamshell vs. sliding canopy.

Wasn't it designed as an "interceptor"?

I don't think it was ever deployed to Korea or used in combat (not that I can find, at least). It was much more of a NORAD/Soviet bomber interceptor affair. From the National Museum of the Air Force, apparently each one of its Mighty Mouse rockets packed the equivalent impact of a 75mm shell. If these things had ever been used, holy cow that would have been devastating.

• 2 weeks later...

I disliked the F-86D (and K actually every "nosed" sabres) before. But now i definitely want one. You guys made me change my mind.... :)

However, does anybody know who is importing KH kits in Europe or especially in France? I'd like to buy those kits at the webshop i like in France (very nice guys, great service and good prices) but they are often quickly out of stock.

Edited by Zero77

The French were using Air-to-Air rockets back in 1916...

0le_prieur_1.jpg

The chinese used bamboo rockets back in the middle age. And even 2-stages ballistic anti-ship missiles (a small missile in a bigger missile). Actually they were not real missiles, but self propelled bamboo tubes, but the concept was already the same.

Edited by Zero77

The French were using Air-to-Air rockets back in 1916...

0le_prieur_1.jpg

I'd absolutely love to do a Nieuport armed with the Le Prieur rockets one of these days, and intend to do so.

As to the Dog Sabre, it's appearing to be a great looking kit, and one that I will eventually seek out.

Good question Jennings, it was my first question also. Model has parabrake housing. Would be easier to convert to F-86L with this. Main difference between F-86D and F-86L is the wing. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY MY HANDS ON THIS! KITTY HAWK, YOU ROCK