Revell 109 Erla G10 engine cowling (only for rivet counters ;-))

Gunnar J

While not really relevant to a discussion about Erla machines, the Hasegawa G-10 is a fraction less than 13mm.  Again measurement taken at MG centerline.

And while I'm still trying to track down some numbers, the Hasegawa kit might be a bit over-wide in the fuselage in general, the cockpit sill is over-wide by about 1.5mm, while the Revell kit might be fractionally under-wide by .5mm. My Erla conversion for the Hasegawa kit has the gun troughs centers at about 13.5mm- poot.

Edited by stevegallacci

While I am personally impressed with the Beaman drawings I don't think we can accept them as gospel, especially since we are talking about discrepancies of a few millimeters.

Since the gun separation distance remained constant for all machines from the G-5 on perhaps someone can provide information based on a Messerschmitt source or a measurement from an existing example. 

Hi again guy's

As Steve mentioned we had som interesting discussion about mainly the Erla lower cowling, I agree with Radu the there is no real "flat" areas on the cowling only more "flat" than the ones used by othe manufacturers..and ad Steven also agrees to. ;-)

I mentioned that The liwer Erla cowling is not symnetrical, I strongly believe after seeing som pics the the port side has a slight curvature and has a slightly different profile the rear, the starboard side is more vertical though the port side has a bigger radius but at the top is "pinched in" to be more vertical, here you where right compared to my rendering about the portution of the last exhaust stack...though the port side is a few centimeters wider there to make clearance for the engine bar.

Radu's drawings of the G6 in ADH publishing of Revells G6 has bern very helpful for me and csn really recommend them :-)

When working on the design of the 109 nose section I now understand the problem the to narrow distance between the Mg's has caused for the overall nose design when looking from a top or bottom view, it's slightly underfed and the fairing for the oil tank is "punched in" in stead of having a slight curvature outwards.

Here I would like to ask anyone with the knowledge about the Erla and the oil tank fairing..as the I get it they also had their own design of this to match the broader front of the lower cowling?

Also could anyone give the exact dim between the spinner c/l and the base of the exhaust stacks for the DB 605 A/S and D? (vertical

dim?) :-)

Regards/ Gunnar

Hello!

Some details of Erla cowling was discussed here:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=56092&page=2

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=56092&p=708757

Besides separation between MGs we should take into account the fact, that upper cowling part haven't to be narrower, than G-6 bulges (beule) area (about 26-26,5mm in 1/32). G-6 and G-10/G-10 Erla airframes have absolutely the same guns and ammo chutes installation, such as most other devices under the cowling. Total width of G-10 cowling is naturally bigger due to larger supercharger. Moreover, Erla G-10 should has slightly bigger height to accomodate MG synchronizer and right gun bracing WITHOUT additional small fairings, as seen on top of Mtt/WNF G-6/10 airframes.

Edited by Fencer-1

Here are two photos of an Erla machine.  The prominence of the fuselage distension at the cowl juncture appears to me to be consistent with the Revell rendition.

Bf%252520109%252520G-10%252520W.Nr.%2525

Bf%252520109%252520G-10%252520W.Nr.%2525

If you look more carefully, you'll see that Revell's cowl side is more sloped and have incorrect curvature at the top section. I can make photo for comparison. In my opinion, top section of Revell cowling is narrover by ~3mm at the cowl juncture. If do not take overall cowling widhth into consideration and just widen separation between gun troughs, you will not get correct projection and length of the troughs and correct shape of joint line between side and top sections of cowling details. Revell kit has trougs already shorter, than should be.

Edited by Fencer-1