Airfix Typhoon canopy parts...again

Gunnar J

Hi guys

Sorry for taking up this topic again as I think it's been discussed here earlier.

I had as many problems with the canopy parts in Airfix new 1/24 Typhoon kit, I had the crack at the sprue attachment, distortion at the rear but also a big "long oval shaped" distortion at the front face on the windsreen.

I contacted Airfix about repacement and got a new sprue but believe it or not these parts was even worse!! though it didn't have the crack on the canopy part it had some marks on the windscreen that looks like scratches or "smear" marks...but seams to be under the surface?? The distortions are also there and and the canopy part now has a long what looks lika a "hairline" crack on the left side at the rear, holding it to the light there are a lot of distorions in the canopy parts.

Has anyone else seen these marks on there parts?

I was so impressed when I saw the kit at Telford last year, a gorgeous kit overall but the canopy parts sucks!! Where is the quality check?..especially when sending out replacement parts?...Making clear parts are not rocket sience these days. :-)

I hope they work on the problems and above all don't send out replacements that are as bad and even worse.

Regards/ Gunnar

Typhoonwindscreenkitpartpic1_zpsd9a868ffTyphoonwindscreenreplacementpartpic21_zpTyphoonCanopyreplacementpic1_zps9f98fff1

Edited by Gunnar J

I don't think it would help but as I have future I could give it a try, but firts for a kit at this price range you shouldn't be needing to do that, the parts are badly molded and the producer needs to adress this. :-)

/ Gunnar

Guest Peterpools

Gunnar

Sorry to read that your replacement canopy set was as bad or worse then the first set.

My kit supplied canopy was no where as bad as yours, with just a small flaw in the windscreen and the replacement set was nearly perfect. Seems the quality is all over the place and the luck of the draw. I would contact Airfix again and ask for a hand checked replacement, as I'm sure they will be happy to comply.

Peter

Feel for you Gunnar...Kind of like finding a roach in the honey jar.   My replacements were exactly the same,just as bad.  

But we'll deal with it,like everything else eh? .          

Dont have the kit, but have had a lot of great success with Ali, and Ally Cat resin. Their stuff seems to fit and look great. Cant confirm on these parts but they look high quality to me, and if so, would be a simple and effective fix for the whole issue, also eliminating the hassle of running around in circles with Air Fix:

Ally cat resin 1/24th Typhoon Mk Ib canopy replacement set

hawker-typhoon-mk.ib-canopy-set-for-airf

hawker-typhoon-mk.ib-canopy-set-for-airf

Hi Brian

Yes I know about the Alley Cat repacement canopy, probably agood alternative but why should we need to get replacement parts from another company and it doesn't adress the front screen part.

It is one thing for aftermarkets where they have added och improved something, but when it comes to just "bad" qualiy control and when it comes to productions issues I think Arfix should sort this out and asap :-)

I don't want to criticize Airfix as they have good service and probably trying to do their best, but they can't just send out replacements from same batches or parts that hasn't been visually checked and controlled, that is not good customer policy, but I hope they are working on it and I can wait for a good set if I know that they take it more seriously than it seams now. :-)

This is not a mold error but problems in the process, the parts hasn't had time to set in the mold, flow caracteristics etc...and as I stated earlier...not rocket sience, but do anyone know if Airfix has stated something somewhere if they are working to solve this? :-)

/ Gunnar 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 2 kits today from my local "plastic-pusher". These are from the latest (second?) production batch, and I hoped the problem would be addressed. Not so!

The first set had a miniscule crack at the sprue connection. I can live with it, no problem. Windshield has a barely discernible oval defect. I had to hold the part up to the light to see it. I can live with that, too.

Second set: The crack is a little larger and the oval defect more noticeable. I'll try some thinned Future or thin CA-glue to see if capillary action will help. If not, Airfix/Hornby will have to send me a replacement.

Fantastic kit, BTW!

Stein M 

Edited by A340 Pilot