superbug, twin tails ´n twin engines FINISHED

blackbetty

thanx buddy!

since i decided that i want two gasbags (one on the centerline and one under the right wing) and there are only two "gunslingers" decals for one tank, i drew up some in illustrator and printed them on clear decal paper. we will se how brilliant they turn out once applied, so i printed two pairs to be able to use them over each other to enhance the colours

94_zps3rpmvqvh.jpg

one of the biggest drawbacks of the kit that can be immediately seen are the abysmal pylons. they are crude and the details are just plain wrong. for a kit of this price i would expect better :frantic:

93_zpshebmg75p.jpg

i started with one half to correct the details and add some riveting. it will get some carprimer to tone done the rivets later. kit part is on the top, it looks like 72nd scale.... not very fond of correcting all of the pylons - maybe i can have my master cast in resin, since the inner four pylons are interchangable. can anyone help?

Edited by blackbetty

while investigating the funny looking pylon for the targeting pod that mounts the the fuselage side station (i get to that "thing" in a moment) i realized there is no such thing as a recess on the fuselage side of a superhornet to make room for a missile fin. i will have to fill it with plasticsheet, fill, sand and rescribe - nice on a painted fuselage :BANGHEAD2:

95_zpsfic8pfb6.jpg

the targeting pod pylon is compeltly fictuous! its much too deep and its shape is not even faintly similar to the real thing.

lots of more work :angry2:

I am working on the targeting pod pylon at the moment, and agree it is very poor. I have filled it with 2 part epoxy filler and have sanded it to shape. Will post pics on the next update.

Eric.

• 3 weeks later...

some work on the targeting pod pylon (while i wait on the rest of the resin pylons to arrive)

the real thing:

97_zpscalmepn0.jpg

whats in the kit:

98_zpstiv2fn1f.jpg

its not only completly off in shape, it also has you mount the pod too far forward and at an angle pointing down. but hey, you get four of these, two of them for the right side of the plane, something i have never seen

Edited by blackbetty

i only used the rounded recess where the pod fits into (the pod is quite useable):

96_zpssvsmmxmn.jpg

after a lot of epoxy putty and sanding, i ended up with this:

99_zpsrxy4vgcd.jpg

its not finished, but at least it doesnt stick out anymore like a sore thumb

i detailed the front LG a bit:

101_zpslx59c8ji.jpg

only to discover that the whole assembly slips to far into the fuselage when mounted. like this the landing light would brighten up the nosegearwell, not the runway.

102_zpswquqsklc.jpg

i shimmed it up a little to make it less noticeable, but we will have to see how the plane sits when on all three legs. the superhornet sits pretty level, no way the nose points up

103_zpsnoniupom.jpg

Edited by blackbetty

• 3 weeks later...

really slow on this one, maybe due to obstacles......

since the decals of the finflashes are printed too small to cover the leading edge, i had to mask the yellow part and paint it. upon careful removal of the masked part, paint came off and part of the green stripe too :BANGHEAD2:

106_zpse0ybivz9.jpg

i even sealed it with future before masking, but to no avail. matching the green is very hard. i tried to get some spare decals, but no go

it nearly flew against the wall :blowup:

• 1 month later...

still fighting this thing

after a long time i was able to drag me to the bench and fix the stripes by brush. just a compromise, but i wasnt able to locate a partial set of decals to repair correctly. at this point i just want to finish it. centerline tank and geardoors are next.

107_zpsh7eb3xct.jpg

• 2 months later...