S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

There are dozens and dozens of bureau service companies all over the world who will be very happy to check out your designs and build them for you. Just do a search on google, 3d printing services and your local town. There are loads of different processes too, so try and get some samples first before you place an order. materials vary too, some are much more ammenable to sanding, painting, gluing and so on. Also, ask about long term stability. Some resins have nano fibres in them which makes them more stable and strong, but price goes up accordingly.

You will need a 3d CAD file of the oart you want as well, either a mesh in .stl format probably, or a surface/ solid file, such as .iges or .step, .stp format. Some bureaus can handle CAD program native files as well, such as Solidworks, Rhino etc. These are usually industrial strength suppliers however, with prices and deliverables to match.

If you want to have a go at designing your own parts, there are loads

of software packages, from free ones like Sketch-Up, and very impressive, Design Spark, to full strength Pro Engineer, Catia, Solidworks. These tend to be used on 'engineered' products, while Z-brush is perfect for more sculptural organic subjects, and the tools and work flows are completely different. You can get demos of most of these softwares to try before you buy. Whichever, be prepared for a lot of practise!!

But when you get your first 3d printed design, it will be worth the effort.

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Thanks for your comments! :) 

Mike, the engine CAD drawings are ready (pretty complicated - a fried helped me with finalizing these), I just need to get them printed. I'm just not sure if my solution for the fan is a good one - I've made a spinner which will then be fitted with individual, lasercut fan blades. That's going to be pretty difficult to assemble - we'll see how this will work out.

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

Yes, that's a complex arrangement alright. How many parts do you plan to break it down to? I see at least 5.

As for the fan, well maybe this might work. This is our 32nd A-10 Fan and Inlet correct for the Trumpeter A-10 kit. The fan was CAD Designed directly from the real TF-34 engine fan, thanks to a Crew Chief buddy of mine who was in the MA ANG working the jet at the time. Erik cleaned up and refined the SLA printed fan and also added blade detail to the back. He also re-contoured the inlet and made the fan blade track, which is the same in the S-3.

A-1032ndInlet-.jpg

A-1032Inlet2_zps87a585c6.jpg

I was thinking as skilled a modeling craftsman as you are, you could reshape the inlet lip and cut in the angle, yet still, retain the inlet. 

If interested, contact direct.

Mike V

Hi Mike, 

the screenshots posted above show 2 individual parts. In addition, there is a spinner to fit the fan blades and the exhaust, so there are 4 parts plus the individual fan blades. Your parts look absolutely stunning - sadly, I wasn't aware of them when I drew the engines. Anyway - PM sent! :) 

Brian and Anthony, thank you very much for your kind comments! 

I haven't made a lot of progress during the last days. I've just added a few small details and shot some primer to check the surface details. Still not happy, but it's getting closer to what I call the 'could have been a kit' look.

IMG_3866.jpg

The biggest issue is the software, Kevin. And honestly, I don't see the prices for these drop to a 'normal' level soon. As the powerful tools are intended for the industry, they are very expensive. On the other hand, it seems to be possible to obtain very good results with programs such as Sketchup which are rather cheap or even free. Hope to see a build log of your Tunnan here soon! :)

Edited by Starfighter