S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

As the end of the build was approaching, it was time for my obligatory catastrophe. But first things first: 

The slime lights were masked and painted; some fading was added to obtain a weathered look. They will get a wash later. 

19059b2f-0596-4937-8889d7t.jpg 

17cc9f5e-07bf-4a0a-ad49ijd.jpg

9e4cce4f-eb75-4819-91tfffe.jpg

The plan was to fit the outer wing sections on Sunday. After fitting the antennae to the fuselage top, if removed the masks from the canopy and this is what I discovered:

img_6392q3dta.jpg

img_63939giz3.jpg

What a mess! I did not think about removing sanding dust and shavings from under the cockpit before closing the canopy. As the model was stored upside down and handled a lot for weeks, all the dust could gather on the inside of the windscreen and a lot of it was blocked between the IP coaming and the clear part. 

I have tried to remove the dirt by drilling several holes but I wasn't able to remove everything.

ce29f5bb-df27-4368-a02fft8.jpg

d405539f-3646-4998-a3njete.jpg

So, there was only one solution...

d69e3d48-2e48-47a7-99kxenu.jpg

I really hate when this happens. Anyway, the dust is out and after some filling, sanding and painting, I'll hopefully be able to fit the outer wing sections soon. 

img_6398vrd4y.jpg

img_6399g8c5s.jpg

You're too kind - thanks a lot for your encouragements! the canopy repair is in progress. IN the meantime, I have received the masks my friend Axel has cut for the Buddy pod. I definitely need a Silhouette Cameo - these masks are a true pleasure to work with.

img_6402med94.jpg

img_6403uecoi.jpg

img_64050mcz9.jpg

Photos of the canopy area will normally follow this evening.