S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have indeed made a bit of progress on the Viking - more canopy polishing and a few coats of Future. It's still not good enough, though - there are a few visible steps left from 3D printing which have to be removed first. more sanding ahead and not a lot to show... I will keep you posted about the progress, though! 

More news from my workshop: I have my own 3D printer now, an Anycubic Photon. I am currently running a few test prints and the results are pretty promising so far. I will keep you posted about this as well of course!

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

I have indeed made a bit of progress on the Viking - more canopy polishing and a few coats of Future. It's still not good enough, though - there are a few visible steps left from 3D printing which have to be removed first. more sanding ahead and not a lot to show... I will keep you posted about the progress, though! 

Great news Ben, I loved seeing this one come together. Im still hoping for our own more mass produced IM version in 32nd some day. 

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

More news from my workshop: I have my own 3D printer now, an Anycubic Photon. I am currently running a few test prints and the results are pretty promising so far. I will keep you posted about this as well of course!

Please do let us know. Any interest in a quick review for the site?  Im really into this kind of thing, and when/if I ever get the disposable income for it, Im picking up a 3D printer someday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress! I found some time and motivation to work on the Viking. After polishing the canopy for hours and several attempts at tinting it, I started with some weathering on the fuselage top before finishing the cockpit - the sticks were still missing. 

img_5782c2igq.jpg

img_57841mfc4.jpg

img_5787rufz6.jpg

img_57906ac1l.jpg

Last look at the cockpit before gluing the canopy into position.

img_5796tkeds.jpg

img_5797npf7w.jpg

Canopy in place. Now, back to my favourite task: puttying and sanding. 

img_5798m1chi.jpg

img_5799aiisl.jpg

More to follow...

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Phenomenal work, Ben! I would have faired the canopy in long before the painting stage, however.

Kev

Thank you all! :) You are right Kev, it does not really make sense to start painting before fitting the canopy... but I had to see some progress in late 2017 and couldn't resist to start painting. That`s the problem with such long projects. Polishing the canopy has taken me months, so I had to do something else in between to keep the motivation high. 

By the way, I didn't show you everything yet. Next step was masking and painting the anti glare panel. Sealant gunk was again simulated with Mr Surfacer. 

img_5818akcra.jpg

img_5819lxdgo.jpg

Then, the damaged marking were masked and painted again. 

img_584269ied.jpg

img_584321iez.jpg

img_5844z0fv7.jpg

Here is how it looks with a coat of matt varnish and a bit of weathering. 

img_5848bgi7x.jpg

img_5850jtekz.jpg

The SENSO windows were simulated with Hasegawa hologram film, the window frame was cut with a Silhouette Cameo. I know, there was no hologram effect on the real fuselage side windows, but the effect helps to give depth as the windows are just painted onto the fuselage. 

img_5876mkdwi.jpg

After some more weathering. Again, it's a combination of various filters, free hand airbrushing and spots masked with masking fluid. 

img_58775bclu.jpg

This is how it looks at the moment - compared with a 72nd scale Airfix Viking. 

img_58782vekq.jpg