S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

It wasn't fun to remove the canopy at this point indeed... but this was way worse back in the day:

img_6693htfyt.jpg

The canopy recovery was a success indeed. I think it looks acceptable now.

img_6429v5fvj.jpg

img_6428y0dye.jpg

I could then finally do what I had initially planned when I discovered the cockpit catastrophe - fitting the outer wing sections. That's a pretty big step for me and for this project in general. 

img_64311ddt0.jpg

img_6430miepv.jpg

img_64342vedu.jpg

Next step: detailing the wingfolds, preparing small parts like pitot tubes, finishing the Buddy pod and the other external store - not yet sure what I'll put under the RH side wing. 

This is nuts. What is your painting and finishing/weathering technique that allows you to make fixes and afterward it’s like nothing ever happened?

Canopy looks spot on, we always had a lots of sealant around the seams which you have captured. It was a grayish very sticky selant that was used when they bolted the new windscreen or canopy on. It oozed a bit. 

I miss flying tne S-3, ugly but always a lady. 

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin

Wow is an understatement.  Look at that canopy!  Wow. Wow.   Dust?  Who the heck is looking at dust particles!  Superb model Ben.

i don’t usually look into the jet builds.  Just not my passion nor interest but each update from you is just remarkable.   Thanks for sharing this epic build for us.

Disclaimer: WWII jets are fine.  (Just Keep it on the low down).  

Troy 

Thanks for your feedback!

Collin, I am really sorry I did not answer your first post a few days ago. In fact, my weathering technique (wich technically isn't 'mine' but the combination of proven techniques I use) is rather simple. The base colour gets several treatments, such as lighting or darkening individual panels or areas by airbrush, using masking liquid dabbed onto the surface to create random patterns. After a coat of matt varnish, filters and washes using different oil colours are added. This helps to blend different areas. Touch ups are added on top of the weathered surface afterwards and if desired, any of the previous steps can be repeated. The more coats there are the more deep and complex the overall appearance gets. You should check out Fancherello's Tomcat thread - he is the absolute weathering master and also has the talent to properly explain how he obtains his incredible finishes. 

4 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Wow!

Wow!

Amazing!

Wow!

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Wow is an understatement.  Look at that canopy!  

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

X 2 and some!

20 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

I have only one word I can use really - stunning!!

All of the above!!      This is one amazing model Ben, thanks for taking the time to document.