S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Progress is slowing down a bit, but there are many small parts to be treated which takes a lot of time. Slowly but steadily...

The wheels were repainted and weathered. The black recesses on the main wheels have to be touched up again.

img_6253tpcha.jpg

img_6254l6dsd.jpg

The ice cone shape air exit on the rear fuselage was made using a modified nose cone of a 1/48th scale AIM-54. This also required milling a hole into the fuselage... I love it. Not!

c03fb35f-9d4b-4f68-ba83et7.jpg

5d0175cd-6680-416a-9d1rc97.jpg

Some sanding, filling and painting later. 

img_6280abdx6.jpg

img_628306fvx.jpg

The crew entry hat was detailed with Micromark rivets, painted and weathered. This area appears very yellowish on many photos of real aircraft, so I tried to simulate this effect with different washings and filters.

img_6282cwdaz.jpg

The tailhook is ready as well; I am not too happy with the chipping at the rear, so I'll redo this once again.

img_6285npdiw.jpg

The sway braces were added to the pylons and the position of the Sargent Fletcher refueling pod was marked. The braided line at the rear of the pylon simulates the fuel line.

img_6290x4ixn.jpg

img_6291g8fev.jpg

img_6281h0d91.jpg

Edited by Starfighter

Thank you very much everybody - I already mentioned it several times, but your comments are really helping to keep my motivation high! 

I am working on many small parts and different areas of the model at the same time - all these things are not really worth showing but are very time consuming. There is one big and rather visible part I am working on, though: the Sargent Fletcher refueling pod. They were pretty beaten up, dirty and corrosion control was very active as well. Exactly my pair of shoes! :) As usual, weathering was made by airbrush and oils. The pod itself was designed by me and 3D printed. I just need to make the RAT or a nice red cover for the latter and the refueling basket. The basket is going to be rather complicated and I am not yet too sure how to do it. We'll see. 

img_6307spc68.jpg

img_63083oex5.jpg

img_6309r1iig.jpg

I can only comment to what has already been mentioned previously.   Wow.  I don’t usually follow the jet builds but this is such an epic build going on Ben.  Seriously cool. 

Don't the Navy pilots that fly these birds refer to the aircraft as the “mini van”?   What a superb looking mini van!   

Troy. 

48 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Don't the Navy pilots that fly these birds refer to the aircraft as the “mini van”?   What a superb looking mini van!   

Troy. 

Dont ever remember hearing that nick name. “Hoover” was most common. I used to

tell folks at airshows that the “S” in S-3B stood for “stealth”.....joking of course. She may not have been a beautiful sleek aircraft, but for our job she was stable, flew very well, had long legs, and decent mission systems. Unfortunately the Cold War ending and the Navy’s desire to bring down the number of different aircraft in the AirWing to reduce coat sealed our fate as a community. It’s funny now that anti-surface and submarine warfare is gaining high interest again, the aircraft dedicated to that mission sits retired in the desert.  

I love this build not not only for the subject, but the weathering is fantastic.  

Ben, your airbrush and oil weathering is spot on. Any chance of giving us a tutorial on your technique?

Cheers

Collin