S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

20 minutes ago, red Dog said:

Flabbergasting.

i'm still gathering bits of my jaws on the floor

I'm Always in awe and to be honest jaleous for such fully scratchbuild projects. Can't wait to see it in the flesh soon :)

... and I can't wait to see your Intruder / Corsair dio soon! :)

Thank you all for your kind comments, I hope not to disappoint you in the end... 

I have started weathering the nose landing gear leg. It's CAD designed and 3D printed. Whilst I initially planned to use a modified Trumpeter F-8 landing gear (as per the real aircraft!), I decided to draw it in 3D in order to make sure the model sits properly on its legs. 

img_59038hfsv.jpg

10 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Beautiful work.  Now according to modeling logic, there must be one announced soon now that you've scratch-built this one

Matt 

It took more than 3 years after my RF-8 was finished that Paul Fisher put his conversion on the market... my Prowler is finished since almost 2 years and nothing was announced yet... I am fairly positive there won't be a 32nd scale Viking in the near future! :D

11 hours ago, Starfighter said:

I am fairly positive there won't be a 32nd scale Viking in the near future! :D

Dont say that!!!!

Its SUCH a cool model, and frankly a great size in 32nd VS a lot of other much larger models that are coming out in 32nd.   I really and truly hope we get a 32nd Viking someday. 

10 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Dont say that!!!!

Its SUCH a cool model, and frankly a great size in 32nd VS a lot of other much larger models that are coming out in 32nd.   I really and truly hope we get a 32nd Viking someday. 

But these larger aircraft are much more popular than the Hoover... Don't get me wrong, I love the S-3, but I don't think it is 'desirable' enough for an audience large enough to justify the investment for a 32nd scale kit. I might be wrong and if so, I will be glad to build an ES-3A using whatever kit hits the market one day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Your comments are highly appreciated, thank you very much! 

Some surgery was needed as I had to add the louvers to the rear fuselage behind the main gear wells. This required some careful cutting and carving.

img_5970z0cdp.jpg

img_59847hcs2.jpg

img_6005naesw.jpg

The next step was to finish the wiring of the weapons and landing gear bays before painting.

img_5985z2dii.jpg

img_5986mmexm.jpg

The nose landing gear well looks rather empty, but I am lacking photos of it. There are no proper photos of the nose lading gear bay around - et least I haven't found them yet. If you have some, please feel free to share them!

img_60063rfyv.jpg

Micro Mark rivets were added to the big main landing gear doors. The other doors were printed with rivet detail, I somehow was not able to do the same for the big doors. Anyway, here we go.

img_610293ckq.jpg

After a coat of Tamiya matt white...

img_6008m6cfp.jpg

img_6009ffehn.jpg

... the wheel wells and weapons bays were weathered using a wash made of warm grey oil paint and Ammo Engine oil wash.

img_61043wc9e.jpg

img_61057cik1.jpg

img_6107x9e4g.jpg

img_6108fed5o.jpg

img_610616iuc.jpg

The wheels are just temporarily fitted - they will be repainted again before being glued into place. 

Weathering of the underside has begun as well. The streaking was made using a combination of highly diluted matt black applied by airbrush and single streaks made with oil colour which was then smeared in airflow direction with a brush. The area between the bays will be weathered as well, but not as heavily as the areas behind the wheel bays.

img_61284be9w.jpg

img_612004e8k.jpg

After application of the 'Jet Intake' triangle decals, the engines were sealed and weathered using a combination of oil paints and airbrush. Corrosion control touch ups will be added later.

img_6121e1cmd.jpg

img_6125a8enk.jpg

img_6124bdi1d.jpg

The inside of the LH side engine is very dirty on many aircraft due to the APU blowing against it when its exhaust is open. This is especially the case on the very aircraft I am building.

800px-US_Navy_040522-N-5821P-002_An_S-3B

img_6123kzfk8.jpg

img_6122tpelf.jpg

img_61279jfq0.jpg

My friend Thomas Matzer has made some gold dust for me using his CNC mill - tie down hooks for the fuselage underside and several antennae. These will be assembled and painted soon, but they will be the last parts to be fitted to the model.

img_5942a6ewc.jpg

img_5940qsi9k.jpg