1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A

cbk57

Being designed into the kit doesn't appear to assure a future release. Take, the Tamiya Mustang as an example. The lower wing has the provision for rockets and and the fuselage could adopt alternate panels with vents on either side of the wing root. The kit also provides the battery mount for the engine compartment and the associated vent. Have they provided a kit that makes use of these options? No!

Hi Grizly you are correct about Tamiya building in features they don't use.  However, on the Tamiya P-51D/K they did use the battery mount for the engine compartment.  If you look at the directions for the Photo reconnaissance version they use that bracket.  I have seen this bracket discussed numerous times and I know people believe it is for Warbird planes however if the D/K recon variant is correct it then the battery was relocated to the engine compartment for another piece of photo related equipment to be placed in the old battery location.  It might be an additional battery.  I don't know the details or all of the underlying facts so I have stayed out of the discussion but it is there.  So it is one case where they did use the mystery piece.  I remember when I built my first Mustang(the original version) that piece drove me nuts because I thought it should be used but kept looking through the instructions trying to figure out what it was for and where it went.  I finally decided that it was not part of the plane I was building.

And their F-16s (1/48) are clearly designed for a two-seater.  And still we wait, and wait, and wait.  

And the 1/32 Spitfire IX has an antenna wire mounting post on the rudder, something only really applicable to the Mk.I/II.

And where are my A6M3s, that everyone said was a "no brainer" and would surely be coming soon after the A6M2???? :hmmm: :D   The world may never know why they do things the way they do (or don't). :shrug:

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

One of my favorite things beyond quality about Tamiya is they do what they want to a degree regardless of us.  Sometimes I like what they do sometimes I don't.  However, what they do is almost always interesting and in many regards ground breaking as modeling goes.  I have went years in some cases without buying a Tamiya new release.  Not because I did not like what they released but because I was not interested in building the subject.  Examples such as the Fiesler Stork or the Single Engine German jet that they did.  Great kits I really liked but in the first case have not got around to building one and the second just not interested in building one.  I love the new Yamato kit but may never build or buy one of those either. 

I know this is off topic but further to my point about the Mustang, the late RCAF Mustangs had the battery installed forward with the VHF, ADF and transponder boxes behind the pilot. One is provided in the kit.

Yep, this was standard on D-30's and some late production -25's had it as well (including the VLR birds).

Tamiya play to their own beat an have for such a long time that never "wait" for an expected release.

Where is the slatted F-4 family E/G/S and the B to complete the F-4 base family?

The F-16 two seaters?

A6M3?

Early Spitfires?

Musashi retool?

And the list could go on for a page.

Wait at your own risk as when it comes to Tamiya a bird in hand applies more than ever as some of there decisions are perplexing at best.

Tamiya play to their own beat an have for such a long time that never "wait" for an expected release.

Where is the slatted F-4 family E/G/S and the B to complete the F-4 base family?

The F-16 two seaters?

A6M3?

Early Spitfires?

Musashi retool?

And the list could go on for a page.

Wait at your own risk as when it comes to Tamiya a bird in hand applies more than ever as some of there decisions are perplexing at best.

I said the same thing when folks slammed the Revell Spitty Mk. II: it's the only game in town right now. It makes PERFECT sense for Tamiya to release a Mark. I Spitfire. But that has NO BEARING on what the company will ACTUALLY do.

• 1 month later...

Others will follow up.  However apparently late versions of the F4u-1a did not have the light under the wing.  We see today three distinct classifications of the f4u-1, 1a, and 1d.  In reality it was not that way.  There were running changes in the production blocks as the war went on.  There were not three distinct versions but many subvariants as the plane developed.  The labels we see applied now as I understand came after the fact.

l know about that. One major change also included the R-2800-8 to be xhanged to the R-2800-8W from the 551st Corsair on. Earlier -1A still had the same R-2800 as the F4U-1. It seems that the modeller needs much to go into deeper research to biuld the correct thing.

Edited by Urs