1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A

cbk57

Has anyone seen the box art for this model as of yet? I can't believe they are just going to use the 1/48 art again.

Chuck

To me, that is the last thing that I care about.  I could have my 3 year old daughter draw the box art and it would not change my buy / no-buy decision in any way.  

Anyhoo..   what's up with the exaggerated powder stains on the wings?  I thought I read somewhere that these were hardly ever present, especially going back 3' from the muzzle opening.  

One of my Great Uncles told me that when they were on the islands they didn't get paint very often from the Navy so they used OD Green from the army to paint patched up birds until they got more paint from the Navy, Anyone have info that either proves or disproves this? An OD Green Corsair would be kinda cool to do..

It's hard to tell from B&W films and photos, but of all the color photos of F4U's I've ever seen, I've never seen even a single one with anything that looked remotely like olive drab on it.  Anything was possible, but keep in mind that the American logistics train was (and is) the envy of the world. Not that there weren't shortages of things, or overages of other things, but in general our troops were pretty well supplied.  By mid-1943 when the -1A came along we were pretty well entrenched in the SWPA.

There are any number of films at the National Archives showing guys touching up camouflage in high traffic/dirty areas (like the wing roots) on Marine Corsairs in the Solomons.

Frankly, given the supply route and the fact that Marine & Navy aviation were the majority present for the island hopping campaign, I'd have expected the Army types to be using non-Specular Sea Blue on their equipment rather than Marines using Olive Drab on theirs in the event of a shortage.

Does it still have the landing light in the lower left wing?  I'm hoping against hope they don't do the same thing they did in their 1/48 kit and leave it there for all the variants.  It was deleted and replaced by a small light in the leading edge early in F4U-1A production, and for the majority of -1As and all -1Ds it shouldn't be there.  It's right in the middle of the fabric area of the outer wing, so fixing it isn't a simple matter of putty and sand.  You lose the fabric rib detail, which is hard (at least for me) to reproduce convincingly.  I'm hoping they'll do a new lower outer wing part without the light in it.

yes it is in the wing on the bottom. Saw a test build at Orange Con yesterday, NearTamiya USA headquarters. 100_6025_zps92d1fa71.jpg100_6026_zps44174320.jpg

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

I managed to snap a bunch of pictures of the -1A at OrangeCon over the weekend. And I can confirm it does have the light in the lower wing parts, so that will need to be deleted.  Everything else looks absolutely beautiful. Hadn't seen it in the flesh yet, now I can't wait for it to be released.

2014-10-04114845_zps278f6c91.jpg

2014-10-04114851_zps2c96cdb6.jpg

2014-10-04114858_zpse236e0c9.jpg

2014-10-04115131_zpsd8f640f4.jpg

2014-10-04115137_zps8b255e63.jpg

Matt  :frantic:

I really thought the FAA version might appear in this kit.  The wing tips are already clipped.  I thought they molded end pieces on the clear parts sprue and they had the Sutton harness already in the other version.  I don't personally care as much about the FAA version but I know a lot of other people really want it.  It looks to me like it was designed into the kit in the beginning.  I really would not be surprised now that the next addition is an FAA instead of a 1D but the is ONLY SPECULATION on my part.