1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A

cbk57

I have found some images of the new Corsair.  I have tried several times to post the link or the images but they are not working.  If you google Tamiya Blog you can find them for yourself.  They have images up of the built plane, the new parts and the decals.  I can't get a close up of the new parts but I noticed a couple things I did not expect.  It looks like there are two new instrument panels.  Also it looks like they have molded a new ignition loom and maybe distributors for the front of the Motor.  There are numerous other pieces of course but I can't tell what they are or would be considered expected for a 1a.  I cannot tell that the side consoles have been raised but I have never known if they were raised any from the 1 to the 1a.  It looks like there is a knew control stick and raised foot elevator controls.  There are revised parts for the tail wheel and then a lot of detail parts I just can't tell what they are.

On the Tamiya Blog they show the built up engine.  I am certain that the distributors at the type of the engine and the wire loom are the early type not included in the bird cage kit.  The distributors are tear drop shaped and the wire loom is also the early type.  I don't know if this is right or wrong but it looks like this kit will have the option to build either type of engine configuration.  These parts look just like the Baracuda studios upgrade set. 

Edited by cbk57

I tried going into the Tamiya Blog and wasn't able to get past the little clickable picture of the F4U-1A in flight.

But no matter. I'm sure more images will emerge with time. I for one, am not surprisingly very excited! Looks like it will be every bit as good as the -1 version.

Kagemusha, thanks for posting!

david

I would like to think we are going to get a F4U-4 from Tamiya.  I personally believe there is a very strong chance they have done the engineering with this kit so that they could do a -4.  This is only based upon my observation of how the section behind the firewall is engineered and I believe there is a mold insert of some sore for that area.  With that said though Tamiya has in many cases engineered options into their tooling and never followed up on it.  So a -4 could be out soon but may never come out.  A 1d is very realistic in the near term (1 year ish) but a -4 is wishfull thinking.  At this moment my bet is that it is more likely we will never see a -4 from Tamiya than that we will.  If I had to bet never vs out in 4 months the chances are much better of never seeing one at all as I figure there is zero chance we get one soon.  With that said I hope I am wrong.

Well, it certainly does look nice.  What I'm seeing on those sprues in certain spots leads me to believe that there's at least one FG-1A in the mix (if there was such a beast or they're marked not for use which would indicate that an FG-1D is on the way).  I cannot tell for certain but it does look like the long strut tailwheel is on the right hand sprue.  I'm not sure why there's two instrument panels just yet but again, they may be for a later -1D release and marked not for use.  I see the Brewster bomb rack (don't know if that's a misnomer or not, I got the term from a Squadron/Signal publication on the Corsair) and it looks like cockpit parts contained in the sprue on the right.  I'm really interested in the choices of markings they've included besides Tommy Blackburn's "Big Hog".

Man...that canopy shape and gull wing.  I luuurve that plane.  Reminds me of Baa Baa Black Sheep days on friday nights as a kid.

Matty

Matty

I used to see them fly over my elementary school at recess. The Zero's took off from Carrillo airport. Vela la Cava was behind Six Flags Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita in the river bed. Close to where they filmed On Any Sunday with Steve McQueen. The Islands they did all the air scenes are the Chanel Islands.

Also the Real Black Sheep flew over the same Islands after they rotated back to the US. VMF-214 was reformed on January 29, 1944 at Marine Corps Air Station Santa Barbara in Goleta, California. Now UCSB and Santa Barbara air port.

Cheers

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Oh man...that'd be awesome to see as a kid. I still have fond memories of gluing a Revell F4U TV series edition together and painting it this wild cobalt blue.

I took my daughters to the local airshow and whilst generally bored they absolutely loved the F86 Avon Sabre and the F18.  The little one thought the F18 was really cool.

If only they could see a flock of Corsairs.

Reno on the bucket list for sure!

Matty

Right now the distributor is saying late December for the US. The retail is supposed to be about $215 (€168). Hopefully the price will be a little lower when it's all said and done. I'm still going to purchase one even if the price stays the same