Ki-61 Tony; 68 Sentai, Weathering!

LSP_K2

OK, I see it now. I had scanned front and back of the fold out illustrations simultaneously, and missed it. I'm sure I'd have discovered it during my review, but thanks a bunch for pointing it out anyway.

OK, I see it now. I had scanned front and back of the fold out illustrations simultaneously, and missed it. I'm sure I'd have discovered it during my review, but thanks a bunch for pointing it out anyway.

No worries. That profile is what sold me on building a Ki61!

Speaking of pin marks, radiator door has four of the little buggers. Thank goodness for Mister Surfacer.

61%20b%20007_zpsw7mlnsv4.jpg

And now dealt with. There was a weird molding anomaly on the trailing edge, but I've now addressed that issue as well.

61%20rf_zpsiuvkkt5d.jpg

Thanks, Anthony. I too have been judging at local events for many, many years now, and I know what we look for, in order to "cull the herd", so I tend to be perhaps overly aware of that, when I know my model is destined for a competition table, but I see that as a good thing.

Hey Kevin, i think that aircraft used a retractable tailwheel....ask me how i know......

Don

I imagine it did. That shouldn't affect that area on my kit though, at least not that I'm aware of. I noticed on yours that you went with a brown spinner. I've seen both brown and red illustrated for that scheme, so have no real idea which is correct. How did you determine to go with brown?

Didn't know there was a red spinner scheme for that plane... i went with brown because the two schemes i do have as reference show a brown spinner. If i had known of a red spinner I probably would have went with red...

Don

Didn't know there was a red spinner scheme for that plane... i went with brown because the two schemes i do have as reference show a brown spinner. If i had known of a red spinner I probably would have went with red...

Don

I have several profile illustrations of this same machine (and others from the same unit), some are illustrated as brown, some as red. I'm checking my Kagero book right now to see if they say what it might have been, but so far it's a tossup as to what it really is.

Kev, Great Progress! Re: the spinner, do it red. 

Paul

I'm still debating that one, Paul. Surfing J-aircraft last night, I stumbled upon this, a diagram of what areas were theoretically scrutinized while researching aircraft that would serve as profiles during the creation of the fairly recent Ki-61 Aces book from Osprey. Quite interesting stuff, and reaffirms a few things that I had noted previously, as well as pointing out several things I was completely unaware of. According to this, all spinners were brown, with a few exceptions.

Aces114_p18_research_zpsvgerhdcp.jpg