Ki-61 Tony; 68 Sentai, Weathering!

LSP_K2

I also discovered that Hasegawa kit #08190 has decals for this same scheme; good to know, regardless. Since Wolfpack decals have already been ordered, I have no need of the Hasegawa decals, but still find it interesting that they're included in that boxing.

None of the decal sheets done for this bird include the small round bird insignia on the left side below the canopy.  All sheets show some differences from each other, i went with the Wolfpack as it seemed to be the closest. The Hasegawa sheet also suffered from being off white....

Don

I love this WIP considering for me the Ki-61 is the Japanese version of a Ferrari :) - and everything looks fantastic so far.

Lothar

Thanks a bunch. And I agree, it's one slick looking fighter.

None of the decal sheets done for this bird include the small round bird insignia on the left side below the canopy.  All sheets show some differences from each other, i went with the Wolfpack as it seemed to be the closest. The Hasegawa sheet also suffered from being off white....

Don

OK, good to know.

Forgot to ask, what is a beading kit?

A beading kit is what some modelers use to recreate rivets. Far superior in many ways to the rolling wheel types, though they too have their uses. Here's the UMM kit.

One thing I'm happy to have discovered is that while Hasegawa offers the intake as two pieces, with a corresponding seam, the actual intake has no such seam, so I've filled it with surfacer and smoothed it over. Some modelers seem to catch this, while others don't, and I almost missed it myself. I've also filled the area where the venturi is located, as this aircraft apparently didn't have that mounted (still needs another spot of filler though.)

It's also apparent in this photo that cowl needs a bit more sanding to correct some minor fit issues.

61%20b%20002_zps6ohqlz9c.jpg

Gun bay doors were not the best fit, but some surfacer slathered on, then excess wiped away with denatured alcohol, makes short work of repairing it. Still a wee bit of filling to do here, but it should be fine, I hope.

61%20b%20010_zpsk81fykpb.jpg

61%20c%20003_zpsv2pikfpw.jpg

It was just an absolutely gorgeous day here Tuesday, so I decided to take advantage of that, sitting in the shade out on the deck, and polishing the wings of this machine (leading edges mostly). Smaller imperfections will be dealt with indoors; filler, surfacer and the like. (Sadly, the old tree that shaded the majority of the deck, was completely removed yesterday, so there is no more shade to be had, kind of a bummer, as I've enjoyed sitting out there so much, while working on hobby bits, since I first moved in here.)

61%20c%20002_zpsuq9dw9jm.jpg

Area inside the radiator discharge, has some real nasty pin marks that will need to be dealt with. Normally I wouldn't bother with these, but with this model destined for a contest here in September, I dare not risk not dealing with them. In retrospect, I wish I'd looked at this area more closely before I glued the fuselage halves together, as it would have been way simpler to eliminate them then.

61%20b%20005_zpsw7umf6nz.jpg

I've got the same set for another build. They look to be very well done. Mine will be the 56 Sentai bird.

Yes they do. Printed by Cartograf, they're bound to work a treat, based on past performance. I don't see a 56 Sentai bird listed on my sheet. Perhaps you have part 2?