1:6 Flak 38 20mm Quad

LSP_K2

Really good references are a real bear to find, Dan, though I have snatched a few dozen photos from the web, and have three books more or less specific to the 20mm Flak guns. At this point, I'm truly faking some details, as I have no really clear shots to illustrate the exact configuration of some items that I wish to add, though they do seem present in all photos.

I'd really like to be shooting some paint on this baby by late March, and at my present pace (and if I don't get distracted), that seems very doable.

And when will we see paint on your Flak 36?

One glaring error (and it's fairly dominant), is the smooth upper cannon bodies. I've considered taking one body, correcting it, and having copies cast, but that's probably not doable at the moment, as its way expensive, though my caster does gorgeous work. Ironically enough, the other Flak 38 (the single), has gone the extreme opposite, molding the ribs on the upper part way too exaggerated. I had considered using it as a master for four more, but that would be just as much work as modifying one of the quad guns.

What they look like.

ZZPMMm.jpg

What they should look like.

tZ0Jwn.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes, lots of fun. There are a few details that I just may have to entirely fake, as I can find no clear shots, and the flash suppressor/muzzle brake on each cannon is pretty lame, so I'm trying to determine if I want to fix them or not.

They have the real thing on display at the USAF Museum in Dayton. It's not THAT far (and well worth the visit)...

They have the real thing on display at the USAF Museum in Dayton. It's not THAT far (and well worth the visit)...

Odd you should mention that, as a pal and myself have tentatively planned to go up there this summer. If I hook up with the Dayton area IPMS guys, we might even be able to tour after hours.

• 1 month later...

I received this book recently (gift from a friend), and it contains several photos that will help with the display and detailing of my Flak gun. Both the quad and single barrel Flak 38's are depicted, with photos that I'd never seen before.

p201bv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the 20mm, Kev?

I dusted the spider webs off the pak36 today….

Does that count as progress?

Dan

No, not really, and yes. :)  I hope to have it finished by September, but I haven't worked on it for a while now, so I need to get back on it.