A-1H US NAVY Skyraider (Trumpeter A-1J kit - 1/32)

alaninaustria

Thanks for the generosity guys! Looking forward to finally moving ahead on this one!! As for decals, I am leaning more towards the kit supplied US NAVY Swordsmen bird.... still not entirely sure what the final scheme will be! Let's see!! If you have any interesting suggestions please let me know!

Cheers

Alan

...If you have any interesting suggestions please let me know!

Cheers

Alan

Let's see...there's that rare VA-176 scheme, you know the one with the bumble bee...http://skyraider.org/skyassn/gann.htm

All kidding aside, I actually like the "stinger" look on the Skyraider. Whatever markings you choose Alan, the finished model is sure to be impressive, given the subject and your talent at the workbench.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Where does time go??? Finally some time to get the wing cannon test fitted (using MASTER machined brass cannon originally designed for the ZM A-1A), and the generously donated cowl flaps! I decided to get the exterior wings mounted to check fit!!

She is a very slow build.... but a very rewarding build! Standby for more!!

image_zpslpooubla.jpeg

Cheers

Alan

Well, another short update:

Finally was able to mate the ZM outer tyres to the Trumpeter inner hubs!! I do not like using rubber tyres - it's just not for me! One side down - the other to go!!

image_zpsmotg1ix9.jpeg

I used normal thin white styrene sheet cut into thin ribbons to wrap around and inside the tyres/hubs to build up the slight difference in diameter. The hubs tend to be slightly smaller in out diameter compared to the inner diameter of the tyres! Lots of sanding, measuring, cutting and gluing!!

The cannons have finally been measured, and a small diameter port has been drilled into the ends of the small white styrene stubs to accept the barrels later when the cannon are mounted in the wing fold area and the final painting has been completed!

image_zpsxg6pr5ne.jpeg

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria