Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

On 7/29/2020 at 7:50 AM, Scotsman said:

Well just received the next project , spotted on Evil bay last week, and bought on sunday , cost almost as much as the buc, someone was keeping me honest I guess..

To be honest I'd forgotten this kit ever existed , but I just had to have it , fortunately it comes with all the Resin extras, Front and rear cockpits, U/C and fuselage sets, but no decals or instructions ..

Since there are 2 fuselage and wing  sets , I've been  mulling over an idea... since Paul Fisher's tragedy , and the cancellation of his Firefly project . I'm thinking about something like this 

If you ever need parts such as clear canopies, John 'Tigger' Wilkes got the molds. 

Indeed, I'm also preferring the common Korean war Mk. IV Firefly whereas the kit is the older Mk. I mark. Actually, I do not think it is that complicated to do. For the tail, some sanded plastic sheet will do the trick. The radiators in the wings can also be done with some sheet and RB photoetched sheet. The really challenging part is the nose. However as the plane is using a RR Merlin engine, I'm wondering if an old resin conversion to make a Spit Mk. IX could not be used as a basis. Otherwise I would simply build the nose as a boat hull: plastic bulkheads covered with plastic strips I would sand and finetune with epoxy putty. Hth. Thierry 

20 minutes ago, Hartmann352 said:

Those look awesome!

I googled Synthetic Ordnance Works, Scalemates comes up first, and I don't even see all those LG sets that you have pictured above.

How does one obtain these sets?

Thank you in advance.

:beer:

Cheers, 

Dave

Damian has a few threads here in the vendor forum, you can contact him through those.

S.O.W.

Just when you though it was safe to open the post box, these appeared.

Really can't understand how that happened:

2326-1.jpg

2325-1.jpg

The following is an oddball one for me - but it appealed and should be a fun build (eventually!):

48b427_e4b0ed4495724baebd4307f0d9aa1c1a~

And a visit to my friend Tim Perry (@wunwinglow) yesterday resulted in these test pieces for the Tornado F3 he's been working on.

Please don't hassle him at this stage - I'm sure he'll shout when he's ready!  :)

These parts will be used as a test build that I'll put in a suitable thread, so you can give feedback there, perhaps...

48b427_2eee6cf5a450497ea9f2afd7ff86629a~

And he's kindly lent me his 'test mule' for reference (parts have changed as he's developed them):

48b427_650049165bc347bc87e0646974d2bf1d~

Tornado F3 is one of my favourite jets - and one I worked on when I was a Technical Author in the Flight Simulator world, so have wanted to build one for a loooong time...

Have fun!

Iain

Ok ... So the latest batch of stuff arrived and ... A really big box at my front door today ...

BAtw9Jw.jpg

Not LSP's ... but ...

A BIG Tiger and a BIG Pz.IV Ausf.H

pCgyb6R.jpg

VX3CwOQ.jpg

Pulled the turret out of both for an idea of the scale ...

2nTD2Rn.jpg

nY5LuBn.jpg

Conclusion: 1/16 Scale is freaking HUGE :D

I have a couple more on the way ... Once I have a look through the kits and see what AM needs I have for each, I'll pick one to do a WIP.

It seems it's unlikely to be the Tiger - I've ordered a metal barrel already, knowing that the kit didn't have one.

The Hobby Boss kit seems to be a very simplified one with a couple of small accuracy issues ... As a stark comparison, there is the Trumpeter Kit - which comprises of a multitude of parts, with PE, Copper cable and a turned metal barrel included in the kit.

Loving it so far ...

Rog :)

Nice scores, Rog. Both kits are on my "soon to get" list(s). As I understand it, the Tiger is a copy of an RC tank that was short of details in some areas, but overall good basic proportions, so should turn out a stunner, if one takes a little time. The Panzer IV may well be my next big tank purchase, and if it's anywhere near as good as the Jagdtiger, it'll be money very well spent.

23 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nice scores, Rog. Both kits are on my "soon to get" list(s). As I understand it, the Tiger is a copy of an RC tank that was short of details in some areas, but overall good basic proportions, so should turn out a stunner, if one takes a little time. The Panzer IV may well be my next big tank purchase, and if it's anywhere near as good as the Jagdtiger, it'll me money very well spent.

You have it right there Kev ... looking at the bits in the box its obvious that the Tiger was originally designed to be built as an RC kit. There are no interior details and it lacks a metal barrel (something that all kits this large will need) and it cost me about 2/3 of the kit price to order one. BUT with even with some moulded on exterior details - which are reasonably crisp,  a quick Google search gives you a list of errors that don't appear to be much at all ... I agree, It should build up into a nice static display!

It's obvious that the Trumpeter units are designed from the ground up as static display ... a full compliment of PE, metal barrel and copper cabling is supplied as well as a fairly significant parts count. I doubt you'd be disappointed with a purchase of any of these kits. I have a couple more 1/16 kits inbound ... but I'll probably hold off on further purchases until the Pz.III breaks cover.

Rog :)