Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

Went to Prague for vacation. You know, Bohemian beer, like Pilsner Urquell, Kosel, Gambrinus and Budweiser, in the morning and the afternoon, not to forget in the evening (it was very hot these days, an the doctor said: Drink a lot! :thumbsup: ), Bohemian cuisine, all that stuff.

Oh, I also had a field day at both the Army Museum at Lesany (boy, hard to find place!) in the morning and the aircraft museum at Praha-Kbely in the afternoon :punk:Followed by some beers in the evening :thumbsup:.

pk00784kqx.jpg

The famous pink tank from Lesany. They have a vast collection of military stuff, mostly guns, AA too, and the only 8,8 Flak 41 in Europe (or was it the only one in the world?), and tanks, but also 3 aircraft: An Avia BH-10 and two Tu-143. Also two railway ammo cars of the Dora gun:coolio:

And then Kbely:

pk002sljnx.jpg

Kbely is stunnig. A number of hangars by period, outdoor displays and down the road the old hangars of the Aero factory containing the bomber collection. Anything the Cech AF used, a number of foreign aircraft too, airliners and a spaceship. The only place to see a S-199 and CS-199 together, both a Me-262 single- and doubleseater, an Il-2 and Il-10 and much more stuff.

pk005wzk4z.jpg

pk0035tk7k.jpg

pk00461kma.jpg

The old Aero factory hangar:

pk006x6kqv.jpg

And the entry is for free at both places!

If you are ever in Czech - don't miss it :punk:

Regards

- dutik

p.s. Did I mention the bohemian beer...?

Edited by dutik

BTW, they show a lot of interesting stuff there:

imgp1277d7ked.jpg

That's not a childrens toy - it's a flight simulator!

imgp12796kj16.jpg

And the control unit:

imgp1278wqkgu.jpg

Guess you know what this is:

imgp1302uhk0l.jpg

German too: Ruhrstahl Fritz X glide bomb:

imgp12919ik99.jpg

The rudder of the Letov S-16 that made a 12.000 km flight from Prague to Beijing, showing all the landing places en route:

imgp13688yjj5.jpg

The fuselage of a Saro Cloud:

imgp1397hwjv1.jpg

Interesting story behind this: Used by Czech Airways before WW2. Scrapped, the fuselage used after the war as a houseboat for decades. So it survived and got recovered from the museums team.

imgp1447qsj6z.jpg

The L-159 ALCA light attack aircraft. See it in Iraq - or Prague. Your choice :wicked:

They even have a Gloster Meteor, a Yak-23, an Iskra, a Su-25, both czech made towed aerial targets KT-03 and KT-04, a wing and engine of a Skoda-Kauba SK 257 and much more. Not to mention the plethora of replicas of czech interwar aircraft. Added to my collection a good number of detail photos of the Letov S-2 (kit by HPH) and for other LSP kits in my stash.

Enjoy!

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got home from the 2019 NATS.

Got some serious shopping in. The Su-27 was on a whim, after I saw a completed one in the contest. Got a deal on it with Squadron's 20% off.

Also won in both of the categories I entered, a 1st in 1/32 Prop Allied & a 3rd in 1/32 biplanes.

Was great to meet a few of you there.

JlA6tvR.jpg

DMxzyYh.jpg

hb9g2ob.jpg

pAW29cn.jpg

Larry

Congrats Larry on the wins!

Great haul too

I see Tennessee did nearly the same thing as Phoenix did last year by issuing challenge coins for catagory wins instead of actual trophies.

I really wish these clubs who host the NATs would start making sure they have actual trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category. Taking nothing away from anyone's wins at all, it just seems a bit of a cheap out when your hosting the biggest event in the country as far as modeling goes.

Phoenix didn't even bother mounting their challenge coins.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, LSP_K2 said:

New hobby book arrived yesterday (just not this particular hobby). The Hubble has been a source of amazement to me for quite a while now, so this book seemed inevitable.

KCY1dJ.jpg

Kev, I want to see some pics of your library, because it HAS to look like the Library of Congress by this point.

1 hour ago, BiggTim said:

Kev, I want to see some pics of your library, because it HAS to look like the Library of Congress by this point.

I don't think I really have all that much, not compared to some others here on the site. By the way, this book on the Hubble is truly neat, explaining lots of stuff that I'd previously been unaware of. It's station keeping capabilities are beyond outstandingly cool.

20 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Also won in both of the categories I entered, a 1st in 1/32 Prop Allied & a 3rd in 1/32 biplanes.

Larry

Any photos of your specific winners? First place is a serious accomplishment, so big-time congrats on that.

Thanks for the congrats guys!

I was pleased, the last Nats I entered was in '93.

I was really surprised to win 1st in the 1/32nd, as there was some excellent builds there.

My 1/32 US/British 1st place was my Special Hobby Tempest Mk.V.

DXoDcNY.jpg

My 3rd place in the biplanes was my Albatros D.V, Jasta 17.

FDH7V8Q.jpg

I have both of these posted here in the RFI.

Larry

Edited by aircare84