Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

On 11/14/2018 at 7:41 PM, dutik said:

Saved my money :coolio: and visited the Eurofighter at the Luftwaffengeschwader in Laage/Germany.

laage3n7eum.jpg

laage2rydib.jpg

Also got free breakfast and free lunch, a 90-minutes long briefing by the Commodore and a walk-around guidet by a technical officer. Also some coverings got removed and the gunbay opened, while other Eurofighters were taxiing around the shelter. Yep, we got permission for some photos inside the shelter :thumbsup: Finally we watched from 50 metres away the pre-flight check and leaving of the shelter of another Eurofighter.

Was a nice day, indeed :punk:

Regards

- dutik

You won the Internet for the day!!!!

On 11/20/2018 at 3:42 AM, Michael931080 said:

Dutik please post some more pictures of your Eurofighter visit!  Would really love to see them!!

On 11/20/2018 at 2:04 PM, Gerhard said:

You won the Internet for the day!!!!

Fellows,

these are all the images I have. Beside the group photo with 120 peole in front of the Eurofighter.

The EF is still a military high tech, deployed in a security area inside the military area. It is prohibited to take images in this area. The technicians checked first that nobody had a smartphone in his hand before he removed the intake covers and opened up some other hatches. Part of the tech is still top secret, f. e. the inner shape of the intake duct. Well, at least I had a peek inside, but no photos allowed. The commodore himself granted us permission for a group photo in front of a operational EF inside the security area. Even this permission by the commodore was so highly uncommon that the technichians called back to the staff to make sure this was true. So - no more photos. Sorry, guys, but I respect orders in military security areas. Part because I am used to this, part because I don't want to bring someone ele into troubles; like the technicians.

But I want to tell you something more modelling related. Just in case you want to build your own EF model:

- Big surprise: The trailing edges of the wings are not thin. No need to sand them down on your model. The real deal has a thickness of an inch/3 cm. The leading edge is also very blunt.

- Surface is very smooth. Also paneel lines are barely visible.

- Gun port is in the right wingroot and faired over. No hole here - the cover will be shattered by the first round.

- No conventional pitot tube. There is a set of 4 vanes under the nose (hidden by the red covers that make the EF smile ;)). Each vane is trapezoidal in shape and made of stainless steel (left unpainted). The outer rim of each one is a small tube that acts as a pitot. BTW - the vans are heated for de-icing. Don't touch them after landing - they will burn your fingers.

- Central fuel port is in the left wingroot.

- The horizontal platform behind the canard/below the greenhouse (they are at both sides) are antennas. And the double up as walkways for the pilot(s) in case there is no external ladder at hand and the retractable ladder of the EF (its at the left side) comes to use. Yes, you can stand on these antennas.

- Watch the position of the intake ramps when on the ground with power off. The droop.

Sorry, no cockpit photos. Because this is an operational aircraft they left the the cockpit closed to avoid to have to search for debris or small items that might have fallen into the cockpit. To much reflections from the canopy for photos.

Good news:

I will try to visit the wing next year again with a small visitor group. Then we may visit the tower and the flight simulator too.

Anybody in need for images from inside of a russian nuclear reactor? At least I have some of these of my own :coolio:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

My favorite science fiction movie by far is 2001. Nothing could come close to it for decades and when they did, it was mostly fantasy, not hard science fiction. If you like 2001, there are some kits available in plastic. Mobius does the Discovery and Orion in 1/144, the Moonbus in 1/55 and should have the Space Pod in 1/8 scale soon. The Pod looks like it could be lit up quite well.

Tnarg

here my latest kit, no not a plane but there is a story, i did the drawings for the laser profiles for the bullet proof windows on the Bushmaster, so this is a kit i had to have. I have no idea when i'll get round to building it, but it will be interesting to check the sizes to the actual drawings i did

juhRiZX.jpg?1

Bought the Tigger models Boulton Paul Defiant along with the Valiant Wings Technical guide. Using the plans in the book I'm moving along getting the basic structures built. I also  ordered the Airfix 1/48 scale kit just to help me with the contours that the drawings lack. Some other goodies are Barracuda cast 1/32 scale spitfire seat, Barracuda cast British 4 slot 32 inch main wheels, the defiant wheels are 31.25 x 9.61.  I'm going to cut them down and put the grooves in them to get close to the Defiant wheels and tires. Also have the 4 .303 machine guns and the brass RB Models brass barrels. Going to be a long project. Going for the Defiant Mk II so my next part to source will be the Rolls Royce Merlin.

YAM1iB.jpg 

Edited by Daniel460