Iain (32SIG)

Two engines, twin fins - and probably lots of trouble RAF B-25

Hi Iain,

According to the CWHM website, 'Hot Gen' replicates an actual B-25 that flew with 98 Squadron. They have a picture of the original aircraft in their B-25 gallery and it's a glass nose B-25. The Kits-World decal sheet has the original nude pin up as well as the current version.

Carl

Hi Carl,

Not researched yet - but strongly suspect original 'Hot Gen' was a Mitchell II, rather than a III - so I'd still need to go down the fuselage conversion...

In breaking news - my Academy (Accurate Miniatures) 1:48 Mitchell has arrived - crikey it's small!  ;)

Iain

Ha ha... Iain... the devil makes work for idle hands (and x-acto saws)... :)

This'll be one to watch.... always thought the B-25 looked better proportioned with turret at the upper rear...

Matt

Hi Carl,

Not researched yet - but strongly suspect original 'Hot Gen' was a Mitchell II, rather than a III - so I'd still need to go down the fuselage conversion...

In breaking news - my Academy (Accurate Miniatures) 1:48 Mitchell has arrived - crikey it's small!  ;)

Iain

You're probably right on it being a II. Hasegawa released their 1/72 J kit as a Mitchell III so there might be some marking ideas there if you can find a copy of the instructions.

Otherwise I'll be patiently watching your work on the conversion.

Carl

Hi folks - today was interesting...

Had invite to attend members day at a friends flying club with my boy - then followed a lead I had to another airfield - where we found a broken down Mitchell III airframe.

Needless to say - permission sought and granted for some photos - followed by very dangerous conversation - it's for sale!

But we won't go there just now...  ;)

I'm pretty convinced that the Mitchell IIIs were too late for D-Day itself - so never carried the full set of stripes - just the 2TAF partial stripes. And, like Matt, I think the Mitchell looks better in earlier incarnations.

Will post some images of the airframe I saw this afternoon at some point...

Iain