1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Craig

there are several drawing vector packages to design photo etch parts, Adobe Illistrator, Corel draw, Power point as mentioned, skill is part of it but the main problem is learning the product and how it makes shapes, alot do not follow our way of logic and each product has their own way of doing things, also when sending art work to the etching company you must ensure that they can read the file to make the films.

I only know Corel draw, not the easierest program to use but reasonabley priced, some hate it and will only use Adobe or some other program, once mastered the ability to design parts that look more relistic becomes easier.

Cost for outside etch designers start from £25.00 per hour upwords, the cost of a A4 sized 10 thou brass sheet process is £50.00 approx this includes cost of films, postage and brass.

Also note that it also takes time to desgn and research, which if Peter had done for this project would not be this far into the build, his ability to fashion small pieces of plastic, brass, resin and wire has shortened the build time, photo etching comes into it's own when multiple parts are required for a model or several models.

Mick

This is...is...fantastic...im still silenced..as you know im a fan of this kinf of work you do...just lovit as many others do when seeinng your work and admiring it all and also very happy that you share it all so we other can pic up a tip or few...

I do got a question.....

Where do you pick up them bits and parts....

Watch repair bits or what ?....

I myseself are looking at them....

.. every single part of a model is a model - my thing is to treat each little bit as if it were up for some grand champion award - the first attempt at it might work, but if it doesn't, by the second it has taught me enough to do it properly (or the third, fourth etc etc)

Too right Peter. That also applies in full scale aircraft restoration.......I love the work so far on your big cat. Please keep the updates coming, no matter how small.....

THOR   :ninja:

Edited by bdthoresen

Plus 1 for Coreldraw here! Like all software, you just gotta practise. And know what your etcher or printer needs, to give you back exactly what you want. But if you have a clear view of what you want, the tools are there to get the job done, wether it is Coreldraw, Ilustrator or another program. Then you just have to get stuck in!

Tim

Craig

there are several drawing vector packages to design photo etch parts, Adobe Illistrator, Corel draw, Power point as mentioned, skill is part of it but the main problem is learning the product and how it makes shapes, alot do not follow our way of logic and each product has their own way of doing things, also when sending art work to the etching company you must ensure that they can read the file to make the films.

I only know Corel draw, not the easierest program to use but reasonabley priced, some hate it and will only use Adobe or some other program, once mastered the ability to design parts that look more relistic becomes easier.

Cost for outside etch designers start from £25.00 per hour upwords, the cost of a A4 sized 10 thou brass sheet process is £50.00 approx this includes cost of films, postage and brass.

Also note that it also takes time to desgn and research, which if Peter had done for this project would not be this far into the build, his ability to fashion small pieces of plastic, brass, resin and wire has shortened the build time, photo etching comes into it's own when multiple parts are required for a model or several models.

Mick

Thanks for the additional info Mick, I'll have to look into those programs. One day I would really love to be able to make my own stuff, obviously it wouldn't be as good as the professional stuff but for making some basic parts it'd be pretty handy....

Cheers,

Craig

Graig

if you are going to use a vector generating package, eg Corel Draw then don't waste your time doing basic things, once you get into the package then the sky's the limit, one good piece of advise, do not buy the dummy books, they do not help with Corel Draw, go and buy a book called the Official Guide to Corel Draw, it is big and helpful in every respect.

Mick

.. every single part of a model is a model - my thing is to treat each little bit as if it were up for some grand champion award - the first attempt at it might work, but if it doesn't, by the second it has taught me enough to do it properly (or the third, fourth etc etc)

Good stuff Peter; that is exactly the way I do it...It is the best way to eat an Elephant - one small piece at a time!

Derek

Graig

if you are going to use a vector generating package, eg Corel Draw then don't waste your time doing basic things, once you get into the package then the sky's the limit, one good piece of advise, do not buy the dummy books, they do not help with Corel Draw, go and buy a book called the Official Guide to Corel Draw, it is big and helpful in every respect.

Mick

... or just ask, there are several very skilled Coreldraw users on this site, going by some of the output on show!  I'm no expert, but I've used it since v3, and done dozens of waterslide decal sets and photo etched sets with it. So I know it works!!

Tim

Pete I've just spent the better part of an hour getting caught up with this, and I am simply blown away. I love seeing work like this and you have just set a new standard. I've got a project stalled waiting for some tooling to get made, and work like this helps gets my juices flowing again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

Mike

evening folks...

This is...is...fantastic...im still silenced..as you know im a fan of this kinf of work you do...just lovit as many others do when seeinng your work and admiring it all and also very happy that you share it all so we other can pic up a tip or few...

I do got a question.....
Where do you pick up them bits and parts....
Watch repair bits or what ?....

I myseself are looking at them....

Hi Mal - thanks for stopping by - I am a fan of yours too - loving how the Zero is coming together! To answer your question the parts I use I either make myself, use airscale photoetch details or bezels in any scale that works and for the tiny nuts & bolts have spent obscene sums of money with people like scale hardware

Pete I've just spent the better part of an hour getting caught up with this, and I am simply blown away. I love seeing work like this and you have just set a new standard. I've got a project stalled waiting for some tooling to get made, and work like this helps gets my juices flowing again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike - that is really kind of you. I will also say I was blown away by your Ford Trimotor and if my build inspired you in any way to pick up tools on it again then that is a real boost for me and motivates me even more! The kind of amazing work you put into that is what got me thinking I could try it with this Tigercat..

...so, on to todays bits and bobs..

..the control column.. I got a few pics to work from and picked up on a few things.. the column itself is wider at the base with a sort of gradual flare, it is also quite curved and the grip itself has a fine ribbed texture that might be a bit challenging to reproduce.. the pic on the left is actually the column from N7654C..

WIP351_zpsj0fk6ete.jpg

..to make the column itself I sketched a scale version so I knew the size / shape to work to and bent some rod over a flame to get the basic shape. Then I drizzled CA over the end to bulk out the bottom and then shaped it as near as I could to the true shape...

WIP352_zpsoo3mzulf.jpg

...for the pistol grip I set a bit of guitar string into another bit of rod and shaped & added detail - this was the only way I could think of to get regular even spacing...

WIP353_zpsrghh6xly.jpg

...I gave it a little wash to try and show how it looks...

WIP354_zpsmot8njet.jpg

...added the linkage detail from brass etc and the main torque tube that goes under the seat...

WIP355_zpsiksvfksq.jpg

..and assembled...

WIP356_zpsb33chsu1.jpg

WIP357_zpsqyc4xacf.jpg

..and checked it all slots together as it needs to be assembled in situ through the cockpit aperture..

WIP359_zpsqdrdeoap.jpg

WIP360_zpsdzzjsmhz.jpg

..and in place...

WIP358_zpss8ikhes6.jpg

..thats it for now - back soon

TTFN

Peter