1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Great stuff Peter!   It looks like you are already keenly aware, but I know as a matter of fact Norm indicated that none of the TBM firebombers had the seat armor installed. Doesnt look like your planning on it, but just wanted to confirm.

This is truly inspirational work man!!!

it's like a mental 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle..

Boy, I know that feeling.

If nothing else tickles, those rivets and bolts are the dog's avocados for me.

But, then, everything else IS awesome.

I'm patiently waiting for you to begin the engine work . .  (dum-de-dooo)

Regards

Great work Peter! The artwork looks amazing.... as does the rest of the build! I know you're a very busy man, but one day do you think you might be able to do a little tutorial on how you design the artwork as it stands above? I'm sure there are many here that would appreciate it besides me :)

Cheers, Craig

Great stuff Peter!   It looks like you are already keenly aware, but I know as a matter of fact Norm indicated that none of the TBM firebombers had the seat armor installed. Doesnt look like your planning on it, but just wanted to confirm.

This is truly inspirational work man!!!

Thanks Brian - about to  drop Norm a note with a bunch of questions - I have put the armour bracket on but no armour as it's a civvie so hope I am on track..

I'm so happy to see this project proceeding successfully, Peter!

I must say though that the paper kit role here is more and more minimal, as you improve, hack and detail your work. But that's all good! Love your work man!!

Thanks Tomek - the card kit gives me the canvas - at 1/24 scale I need to make the rest up myself - that said it has opened so many doors as I can now do a Hampden, Blenheim, Do17 etc if I wanted as all are available in card..

Boy, I know that feeling.

If nothing else tickles, those rivets and bolts are the dog's avocados for me.

But, then, everything else IS awesome.

I'm patiently waiting for you to begin the engine work . .  (dum-de-dooo)

Regards

:)  - I need to get back to the engines - thats a fact...so much to do and so little time...

Great work Peter! The artwork looks amazing.... as does the rest of the build! I know you're a very busy man, but one day do you think you might be able to do a little tutorial on how you design the artwork as it stands above? I'm sure there are many here that would appreciate it besides me :)

Cheers, Craig

Thanks Craig - I could try this but I do the designs only - the artwork you see is done by my good friend and long time airscale artist Jon Freeman - he sets it out so the etch people can make it - all I do is research it, draw what I see in MS Powerpoint and set out dimensions... that said I will try to put something together in the Hints & Tips bit of the forum...

anyways, another few small steps...

..I started making the seat mount - the key here is the seat needs to be dropped in after the cockpit is together, so I made a mount and pin for it to slide onto from above when the time comes...

used heat shrink tube to make the extraneous bits of the frame and airscale PE bits for the bits & bobs around the mountings..

WIP342_zpst2b7xzn9.jpg

..then added the upper mounts to the frame - these are just card & brass bits..

WIP343_zpszqso8ymw.jpg

..added some small bracing rods above the seat and soon had most of the rear bulkhead complete...

WIP344_zpssdemuoor.jpg

WIP345_zpsc1mdmxro.jpg

started on the mounting bracket for the head armour that was removed from N7654C - marked it out on some brass sheet and drilled the holes first... after the holes I scored the shape and 'wobbled' the bits I wanted to break off - doing this with brass means no cutting, just carefully score and break...

..I always hold parts in the bending tool while I work them - here the lower mounting point has been filed/worked and the upper one is still raw..

WIP346_zpsxikiikno.jpg

..and the part added.. I think this is what it looked like, but with no clear photos I am taking an educated guess...

WIP347_zps6mzufg28.jpg

..I know, another shot of the 'pit but hopefully it shows how it all hangs together...

WIP348_zps9ytppbht.jpg

WIP349_zpsy2rpluvx.jpg

.. every single part of a model is a model - my thing is to treat each little bit as if it were up for some grand champion award - the first attempt at it might work, but if it doesn't, by the second it has taught me enough to do it properly (or the third, fourth etc etc)

TTFN

Peter

Thanks Craig - I could try this but I do the designs only - the artwork you see is done by my good friend and long time airscale artist Jon Freeman - he sets it out so the etch people can make it - all I do is research it, draw what I see in MS Powerpoint and set out dimensions... that said I will try to put something together in the Hints & Tips bit of the forum...

Thanks for the info Peter. I would suggest that it takes more than a little skill to draw them up in Powerpoint all the same!

If you do get a chance it'd be much appreciated, but please don't do it at the expense of devoting energy to this work of art you have here :)

Craig