1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Peter the unit you built in the nose gear bay looks suspiciously like a combustion heater. There is a similar unit in the 1945 Grumman Widgeon I am restoring right now- There is also reference to the unit in the F7F Pilot's Operating Handbook-  Most restorations would not re-install this part due to the extra maintenance requirements and fire potential....But it looks great- Love the work you are doing........

Cheers-

THOR    :ninja:

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Just off the charts ... and way beyond what mortal builders are capable of. I think we need to set a limit as to the level of workmanship allowed and any threads beyond that should be eliminated. A would like to point out, you have exceeded that limit so many times over on the Tigercat, further punishment is in order. :fight:

Now back to reality..............

Absolutely amazing work and I just can't understand how you are able to create each part and assembly so perfectly ... just a treat to follow and enjoy :clap2: :clap2:

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

:hmmm: Hmmm...Between you and Rainer with your scratch built 1/24 scale stuff (not to mention Geoff's 1/18 scale P-51 and Pete Fleischman's T-38 amongst others), I am beginng to feel a little left out, so I may have to start scratchbuilding something in this scale just to 'stay in the club' as it were... :D

Fantastic work Peter (inspirational as ever) :clap2:

Derek

Edited by Derek B

evening folks :)

..back with a bit more Tigercat mayhem...

What a build!

Congrats, Dan. 

Dan - for you to say that given your amazing scratchbuilt work is a significant acheivement for me - I am thrilled, thank you :thumbsup:

Peter the unit you built in the nose gear bay looks suspiciously like a combustion heater. There is a similar unit in the 1945 Grumman Widgeon I am restoring right now- There is also reference to the unit in the F7F Pilot's Operating Handbook-  Most restorations would not re-install this part due to the extra maintenance requirements and fire potential....But it looks great- Love the work you are doing........

Cheers-

THOR    :ninja:

Thor, thank you, there is nothing like the reassurance of knowing I am not making it up! I figure it is not beyond possibility that it was fitted to N7654C so will leave it in place. I had better not put on paper how envious I am of you restoring a real aircraft, especially a Widgeon and in Florida - it will be perfect with all the water around that part of the world :)

so, a few more bits and bobs done..

I started by refining the rear gear door aperture - a bit of cotton gave me a centreline and you can see here the lower part of the aperture needs correcting - a bit of work with a file and all was square..

WIP282_zps812d4968.jpg

..then added some internals to the lower nose casting...

WIP283_zps91184c96.jpg

..also added a bit of detail to the main fuselage parts where the gear bay extends into them..

WIP285_zpsd234a44e.jpg

..after a bit of work I was happy that it was getting near to being ready to close up and that I should stop detailing & move on...

WIP284_zps3839b708.jpg

WIP286_zpsa86610cb.jpg

..I primed all the parts with mr surfacer to give a good key for the paint across the different materials...

WIP288_zps862b287a.jpg

..anyone who has seen my other WIPs will know I am terrified of painting - I don't have much airbrush experience and really see it as an opportunity to balls up a lot of building work..

..any way I looked at it, it was time for paint...

..I mixed up a pot of Tamiya Acrylic with greens, blue & yellow until I had what I thought matched the colour found on an interior shot of N7654C's cockpit and bit the bullet...

WIP289_zpsafa86476.jpg

I also tried a few shadows of Tamiya smoke to see if I could make some lowlight contracts before I detail paint and weather the area - I can see it in real life but think the photo's might bleach it out...

WIP291_zps9ed4ec22.jpg

WIP290_zpsb79a0fa3.jpg

..so, thats it for now - I have to do the detail painting in the next few days (hopefully...)

TTFN
Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Airbrush work looks smooth as silk built it is very hard to see the shadow work.

Doesn't really matter as Harrison said, there is drool everywhere and the more who look, the drool will just increase.

Gorgeous work

Keep 'em coming

Peter