HEY, AIRFIX ! "LIGHT-BULB"

marauderdriver

There is a really cool display at our local SAC museum of a 1/32nd B-52. Its in an acrylic case that had to be over 6 or 7 feet square.  It was an impressive model in quality and size both.

Im only thinking it was 32nd by the size of the figures in the display with it.

A 1/24 EE/BAC Lightning F.6 would be a temporary scale breaker for many including me, as would a Spey Toom. My crystal balls tell me that that is far more likely than us ever seeing a 1/32 IM one (which is about a 5 per cent probability).

Come to think of it, they could do almost any British Cold War jet that in that scale and I'd consider switching up in size permanently for RAF/FAA subjects.

Strictly ceiling danglers, done wheels-up.

Tony

Tony...Crystal ???........Harv

Tony...Crystal ???........Harv

That was deliberate Harv.

Brian, have seen the big 1/32 scratchbuilt B-52D at the SAC Museum nr Offutt / Ashfield and it's very impressive. Complete with "clips" of bombs ready for loading (a major project in its own right). Last saw it in 1995 and it left an enduring memory, as did the B-58 outside.

Hope it's gone inside by now.

Tony

A Spitfire XIV/XIX would be a good one, quite different from their current types, a Spitfire, lots of access to existing ones for reference, plenty still flying, and just quite the most beautiful aircraft in the World, ever....

Tim

Agree 100%

Last saw it in 1995 and it left an enduring memory, as did the B-58 outside.

Hope it's gone inside by now.

It is. Greased Lighting is now inside and awaiting its turn @ restoration.......although no more outside weathering, it's still in pretty bad shape

Well, I am a Brit, spend most of my modelling time in my wooden shed, where there is no space BECAUSE of all the 32nd scale models.....

Tim

Ps 24 Lightning and FGR2 would be impressive no doubt, but really really too big for me! I'd make space if they were 32nd, but I would pass if they were bigger.

Yes. Why don't you ask Hasegawa, Tamiya, or Trumpeter? :)

Because AIRFIX has this in 72nd and 48th  natural progression, like I said in the beginning, UP-Scale

24 th is out for me,  too big !

I do not mean for AIRFIX to stop producing 24th, I mean it is an untapped market in 32nd

I thought you British folk would be on my side since all on the kits I've suggested are British Manufacture, Of British Aircraft by a British 

model company that I thought you would want to support and help grow.

Sorry I love these mentioned British Jets and AIRFIX make them in 48 th Scale and are GREAT KITS

I do not mean to offend any one, but I Warned you I was a CRAZY AMERICAN

jack

Edited by marauderdriver

Because AIRFIX has this in 72nd and 48th  natural progression, like I said in the beginning, UP-Scale

24 th is out for me,  too big !

I do not mean for AIRFIX to stop producing 24th, I mean it is an untapped market in 32nd

I thought you British folk would be on my side since all on the kits I've suggested are British Manufacture, Of British Aircraft by a British 

model company that I thought you would want to support and help grow.

Sorry I love these mentioned British Jets and AIRFIX make them in 48 th Scale and are GREAT KITS

I do not mean to offend any one, but I Warned you I was a CRAZY AMERICAN

jack

Jack we would all be on your side but Airfix has made it plain that they will not do 1/32 aircraft and are immovable on that. So, I don't buy Airfix apart from multipose infantry which might be adapted to ground or air crew (and can't think how an Edwardian bus or Monty's Humber, or a bamboo house kit, might be gainfully integrated in my collection).

Revell Germany makes German 1/32 stuff.

What America no longer makes at home in 1/32 the Chinese and Japanese do for them (plus an occasional British subject thrown our way).

In the Cold War Jet department, the last twenty years have spawned only a 1/32 Hunter, Tornado and Hawk from Germany plus Lightning and Meteor from China. From home - absolutely friggin nada. Zilch. Naught.

But then if a home grown manufacturer like Airfix won't venture into 1/32, what hope is there ?

Guess what ? With such regular 1/32 delights from Revell Germany I'm rapidly rekindling an interest in Luftwaffe 1940s subject matter and beginning to lose interest in British subjects. No, I'm not going to scratchbuild, delve into vacforms or all-resin kits - too few years left and too many nice IM models to make out there or on the horizon - and Revell's stuff is so incredibly affordable.

Tony

Just my tuppence...

I'm all in favour or Airfix 1/24 scale, however I think they are missing a trick.

I believe such subjects as smaller aircraft (eg Chipmunk, Bulldog) or the smaller helicopters (eg Scout, Gazelle or even some of the older Skeeters or Sycamores) would be ideal.

This way the kits won't be considered "too big" and we could get some elusive subjects into plastic.