Zoukei Mura P-51D

Ryan

• 2 months later...

Hey Ryan, Nice work so far. Just sat and read through your thread from start to finish, and I must say I like your approach, as well as your finishing. I love the way the tail wheel bay turned out- Please keep the updates coming-

Thor, fellow North Floridian     :ninja:

• 4 months later...

:clap2: Enjoying this one too. I'm at the painting stage on mine, doing 'Old Crow'.

The kit goes together well, especially given the number of parts required for the outer body/wing panels etc. I'm happy with how mine has turned out so far but I think the Tamiya kit still tops this for buildability. Some elements of the kit are poor and lack detail, whilst others are incredibly unique and well thought out. I was pleasantly surprised at how the wings went together and fit to the fuselage.

I'm sure as ZM matures we will see further improvements.

Keep up the fab work, always a please to see your posts on here

Hah, yeah I work for a while in this state, then re-center and clean up a bit.

Clean up sessions help out when projects are stalled for me anyway. You get to start fresh with a clean desk.

Ryan

Guest Peterpools

Ryan

Looking forward to you getting back in the saddle and the Mustang build rolling down the line

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Glad to see you back on this one!

With the Tamiya kit out, you really dont see these built that often..............which is a shame, as it does seem like a really nice kit.

Thanks guys....gottta get this mess cleaned up first, updates to follow! :)

18418523105_ee51cff1b4_c.jpgmess by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

Mess he says.................

DSC00657.jpg

And thats only 1/2 of my bench!  The other half was just as bad.

Looking forward to more updates!

And then I remembered why I kinda lost interest with this kit. :)

The cockpit has quite a few seams and flash that needs to be eliminated. Some of the worst ones were on the left side. The trim level panel is zigzagged with a very prominent mold seam line that runs over the top of knobs, jogs in and out of levers and finishes out on top of the large trim wheel!

If YOU can clean this up you are better than I.

I figured the best way to attack it was to remove most of the detail and rebuild after things are sorted out....rather than fight trying to save the detail that would surely been damaged by seam removal. Further the large trim wheel was sorta soflty molded into the panel, I needed to better define it.

18479960726_6dab91740b_o.pngimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

18508251221_da00c95299_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Detail removed....sadly while I do have a nice set of punches, I wont be able to reproduce the trim knobs perfectly, but they will look good enough.

18319642148_d4e82a13bd_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

And the front, note i drilled small holes to locate the detail I removed and of course removed the seam.

18319616818_53990aec55_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

So there you have it, a better defined trim wheel and a clean area to add detail back!

Great fun.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan