Zoukei Mura P-51D

Ryan

Hey guys and gals,

You know how you can really fixate on some detail that just bugs you...? Well I was really tormented by the lower strut on the tail gear!

I i know it seems silly, but I wasn't happy with my paint job. My unhappiness with this detail has held me up.

Anyway ended up taping off and re-working the tail strut oleo, still not completely happy, but hey its on the bottom.

15703968702_b291de4d15.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

15516504149_9b522be935.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

Cleaning up cockpit parts, updates soon.

I do have a question though, is the bar over the seat back in fact a bar or flat stock? 

Can't tell from pics, but the belts pass under it.   A few post back i sanded it off the top of the seat, now need to rebuilt it.

Ryan:

You may not need to rebuild it. Checked some threads over at P-51 SIG. Early production of the Warren McArthur seats did not have the bar that you sanded off. That was added later in the production of the seat I assume to keep the shoulder harnesses in place. I do not know in what blocks of the Mustang's production the later seat was introduced. From the pictures I have seen of the later production of WMA seat, it looks like the horizontal piece is an oval shaped tube and the ends are flattened out and bent down to where it attaches to the top of the seat. That is a guess on my part. I will post an inquiry over at P-51 SIG and let you know what I find out. Others may know more. Andy

Edited by acarothers896

Interesting to follow.

The P-51 is not in my "aircrafts-to-build" list, by far, but I got somehow convinced to buy the ZM kit (cheaper than Tamiya's at the time) for one (very narcissic) reason, here : http://www.zotz-decals.com/decals/images/zotz_32037_d1.jpg. Guess which one I'd do ?

So I'm watching you Ryan :)

Hubert

OK update time, I've moved on from the tail section which i'm sure is a delight to all! :)

ZM would have you build up the cockpit as shown below in the pic. Nothing wrong with building and painting it this way, but I have another idea.

15748332222_a0a99b58ff_b.jpg

image by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

I'm always looking for different ways to build a kit to make painting easier. I found through dry fitting and reading the directions carefully you can glue the cockpit side walls to the fuselage sides to paint all at once. Love it.

15561961750_e431d1d10d_b.jpg

15748327412_f6deb22fbe_b.jpg

The cockpit side walls are an impressive molding, but have several seams that need attention before painting...so this is the next step then I can paint them up!

Thanks

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

Guest Peterpools

Ryan

Nice work on the the tailwheel strut and I know exactly how you feel. I started off that way about a few things that were driving me nuts about my first Tamiya P-51, Big Beautiful Doll and before I new it, I was knee deep in a complete re-paint and rebuild. It's best to fix the little things that are gnawing away as soon as you can - makes sleeping at night a lot easier.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter, nice to know I'm not alone!

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Do not worry about that! I can imagine we are a lot of Mustang' lover watching at each of your update!

Zm P-51D not seeing so often in this pages...

Thank you for sharing

raf