Another Revell 1/32 Heinkel He111 P

CATCplSlade

Here is my first aircraft build since joining the forum. She's OOB, as all my planes are ceiling hangers and I don't really have much use for aftermarket stuff no one will likely see. I save that for my armor, which is kept at eye level.

Decided not to go with the more common splinter. Tried my hand at some new weathering tricks I've picked up here and elsewhere, along the lines of chalk pigments and more washes. Some panel pre-weathering which might have gotten out of hand, possibly.

Take it for what it is, and that is built for personal amusement. As long as it convinces the unwashed masses I'm okay with it.

102_0092_zps47359486.jpg102_0094_zps0e156347.jpg102_0095_zpse7a10a90.jpg102_0096_zps913c04d3.jpg102_0097_zpsbaf5d418.jpg102_0098_zps6b406fef.jpg102_0100_zps57b5b6a9.jpg102_0101_zpsad0c4251.jpg102_0102_zps2d1804f9.jpg

Feedback appreciated, as I am still learning. And oh yeah, if you look hard you might see the pilot and copilot.

Edited by CATCplSlade

The only qualifier I would give when deciding is that there seems to be more pics/schemes for the H-series than for the P's, which were mostly replaced when the H's came into service.

That's pretty much what I'm seeing, too. I'm also wondering if it would be easier to do an early H by converting the P, or getting the H-6. I need to do more research!

John

AFAIK, the main difference is the P ran Daimler-Benz and the H ran Jumo engines. This does necessitate some changes to the cowling and shrouding. The H also had a bit more armament but the P kit does provide the fuselage windows with the gun mounts and a pair of extra guns, so a start is already there and I'm guessing from your builds I've seen that you could easily scratch any additional hardpoints.

But it might be easier just to start with an H.

Nice job on that. I was unable to confirm that the P made it to North Africa to serve with STG3, which only had a hand full of them for transport and liaison roles. The only pics I've seen look to be early model H, so I think Revell took a bit of a shot in the dark with that marking option.

If you want some more interesting colour schemes, get yourself the H-6. You can build some early model P's in Hungarian markings, either in 3 tone camouflage for recon or two tone green for bombing. Apart from that, you've got German splinter and maybe one with black under surfaces.

Thanks for all the positive comments. I certainly like such commentary but if you see something that doesn't look right don't hesitate to say as I want to eliminate mistakes going forward (who doesn't?).

For what it's worth, this is the first model I've built in two decades where I didn't break off at least one piece during assembly, although I did lose a trim tab actuator on the tailplane and got a little glue run in the canopy.   :oops:

Nice looking build!  My only critique has nothing to do with the build, which is great, but the pictures.  The amount of clutter in your photos really detracts from the effort.  A light colored, neutral piece of poster board is a cheap backdrop that will bring the model to the forefront where it belongs.

Unfortunately at the moment my basement room with the water heater and HVAC system is the only one with sufficient lighting until I can get a new lamp in my office, and my good camera's screen died so I'm stuck with an old point'n'shoot until I replace the screen. Hopefully by the time I finish my next two builds I will have one or the other. Also, the previous owners built the house to take advantage of natural light - although I'm surrounded by trees. My house is pretty gloomy unless you sit right in my kitchen windows.

But, yeah, I know what you're saying.