P & W R2800 recommendations...

wunwinglow

So, if someone needed a couple of C version Pratt and Whitney R2800 engines for a 1:32 model project, how would the Collective suggest he goes about sourcing them? Scrap a HobbyBoss P61, maybe? All suggestions gratefully listened to!

Me? Nooooo, not me. A mate, honest! I've got too much on my plate already.......

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Just got back from the Nats and was told by Eduard they will be coming out with a 1/32 scale 2800 for the P-61 but while there went over to the Aires booth to look at their new 2800 offering.  The Aires rep couldn't tell us a lot about the engine and wouldn't let us open the box to inspect it, but he said he didn't think that it had all the individual pieces like Vector but was instead cast with all the cylinders together.  Don't know for sure as I can't find reference data but that was what he said - also the Aires unit was $4195 at the show which is I believe about $5 more than the beautiful Vector engine from Sprue Brothers.  I'm looking for a pair myself for my P-61 so really open to additional thoughts or info.

Ok, looks like the Vector ones are the bees knees. Although I might be interested in giving a home to any surplus P61 kit powerplants, if there are any going spare!

Whats it for? Well, lets just say it looks like it has been tangoed.... Oh, and I'm off to Spain shortly, hopefully to see some of their more modern turbine variants..... I think all the PW variants have been retired now. Maybe not!

10 points to the first correct answer!

Tim

I *could* answer - but suspect it would be cheating...

If it's what I think your "friend" might be thinking of - I think it would look stunning!!!  :)

Back in the day I built a Thai one (albeit a smaller one)...

Iain

I would definitely use the Vector resin engines.  Just an FYI, the P-61A/B used the R-2800 B series engines and would have the bullet shaped crankcase rather than the cylindrical bolted style characteristic of the C series engines.  The P-61C did use C series engines but there are no 1/32 scale kits of that available. 

• 2 weeks later...

interesting...

what's the difference between Aires P&W 2800 'early' and 2800 'late'? I can find the 'early' for sale, but struggling to find the 'late' version and wonder which one applies to the F7 Tigercat?

There is also quite a big cost difference between the Vector R2800 and the Aires one - any thoughts as to why?

I too have a friend...