1/18 scale Flettner Fl-282 V21 Kolibri 3D printed / scratchbuilt model

Nick_Karatzides

On 3/4/2016 at 3:49 PM, ssculptor said:
So when are you going to issue a kit?

@ ssculptor (and to whom it may concern),

I think that you missed previous paragraphs and didn't click on my signature too. As already said (click HERE), the FL-282 Kolibri model kit is available for sale (since October 2014) as a 3D printed model kit, in two versions:

Have a look into the 102-page ultra-detailed 1/18 Fl-282 V21 kit building instructions manual which can be found HERE as a PDF format downloadable file and also click on my signature for more 3D printed kits.

IMAGE_0276.jpg

IMAGE_0277.jpg

For more details and to have a look how the model kit parcel sent from factory is received by buyers, click HERE. To get an idea of kit parts and also click HERE and HERE to see how the 60+ parts looked like immediately after unpacking from plastic bags.

IMAGE_0311.jpg

Edited by Nick_Karatzides

If the assembly sequence would follow the instructions by-the-book, the two battery packs should be placed on appropriate brackets located on either side of the transmission unit as shown in the picture from the kit manual. Since the original building idea requires to setup the 1/18 scale Kolibri model in such way to look like under maintenance (or refueling) procedure with all the hatches & sliding panels opened or removed, I decided to deviate just a little from the schedule and do something different: To unplug the batteries and place them somewhere else - possibly on some wooden box or the previously mentioned wooden ladder, one of these unrelated to the helicopter structure additional parts which were designed & 3D printed to be used as part of a diorama scene.

IMAGE_0251.jpg

CHAPTER VIII - Crew seats & front fuselage cover assembly

Each one of the 1/18 scale Flettner 282 V21 kits contains two crew seats for the pilot and for the rearwards facing observer. The observer’s seat consists of two perforated plywood boards, one for the bottom part fixed on a retractable bracket and one for the backrest fixed on frame rails. Cushions are placed over bottom part & backrest plywood boards to provide comfort. On the other hand, the pilot’s seat consists of a (similar cushion covered perforated plywood board) bottom part only, since he rests his back-pack type parachute against the front fuselage cover.

IMAGE_0252.jpg

IMAGE_0253.jpg

Having just painted the perforated plywood boards and being quite pleased with the outcome, I decided (once again) to deviate from the instructions and skip the cushions installation - after all, the reddish varnished look on plywood boards seems to make a fine contrast with the overall RLM 71 Dunkelgrün FS 34079 and breaks the green monotony.

IMAGE_0254.jpg

IMAGE_0255.jpg

Those who have followed this thread from the start, will remember that the front fuselage cover had already been covered with an overall dark undercoat and later gradually airbrushed with RLM 71 Dunkelgrün FS 34079 to achieve proper gradations of light. The front fuselage cover patiently awaited the tubular frame painting completion, in order to come the turn to be properly installed. The part carefully dragged in place along the frame tubes, until reached down on the pilot’s seat & secured in place with a drop of cyanoacrylate super glue.

IMAGE_0256.jpg

IMAGE_0257.jpg

IMAGE_0258.jpg

IMAGE_0259.jpg

This is truely amazing Nick. I love the painting concepts you are demonstrating here. This is a stunning model and I can certainly appreciate the hours you have put into the design work.

I think I will definitely have to invest in one of these. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying your build thread, can't wait to see more!

Craig

• 1 month later...

The first two production model kits under 1/18 scale, were 3D designed such way to have the seatbelts & buckles embossed on the crew seat cushions - a tactic that later altered, since customers mostly prefered to add their own harness or leave the miniature helicopter free of straps webbing. For this reason, the seatbelts shown into following pictures were built from 2.5mm to 3.5mm wide masking tape and photoetched set by Eduard, under 1/20 scale. The seatbelts later got some brownish & khaki paint - so as to make sharp & nice looking contrast against the reddish varnished plywood seatboards and the overall RLM 71 Dunkelgrün FS 34079 painted airframe cover.

IMAGE_0260.jpg

IMAGE_0261.jpg

CHAPTER IX - Rear fuselage section assembly

The rear fuselage section on real Flettner 282 helicopter was made of doped fabric covering over the steel and wooden frame. Those who have followed this thread from the start, will remember that the rear fuselage section had already been covered with an overall black / dark brown undercoat and then gradually lighten the surfaces to replicate the way that sunlight hits on large objects, following the Francois Verlinden’s old-fashioned way (which was re-introduced and become popular around the scale modelling community, by its new "modulation" name). The dark undercoat, gradually airbrushed with RLM 71 Dunkelgrün FS 34079 to achieve proper gradations of light, trying to balance between realism factor and artistic expression. IMHO modulation effect does not accurately replicate the reality, but it looks so artistically attractive and becomes easily accepted by our visual subconscious. Custom made water slide decals applied and later everything washed by brushing “Winter Streaking Grime” AK014 filter available by AK Interactive, until the desired colour density is achieved.

As described into pages #25 to #27 of the ultra-detailed “1/18 Fl-282 V21 kit building instructions” manual (which can be found HERE as a downloadable PDF format file), the rear fuselage cover part carefully dragged along the miniature's wooden frame, until reached down on the transmission pivots & secured in place with a drop of cyanoacrylate super glue.

IMAGE_0262.jpg

IMAGE_0263.jpg

IMAGE_0264.jpg

IMAGE_0265.jpg