Spitfire Mk.IXc Tamiya 1/32 completed

Warbird

Hello,

Thanks for the kind comments.

The seat has been added so the cockpit is completed (except for the undercarriage lever added after I took the pictures). :hmmm:

The seat was weathered using color pencils, otherwise nothing special to mention, parts fit like LEGO, as you would expect!

Half fuselages are now glued together, next steps should be quite straighforward...

img_1811.jpg
img_1812.jpg
img_1813.jpg

Hello,

The seat was first painted using Tamiya XF-64 with a few drops of red. Next I used watercolor pencils (see below for the shades) to create the fibrous aspect of the the real seat. I made tiny dots and scratches and built up the effect progressivly with lighter colors on and near the edges of the seat.

If you are not satisfied you can modify the look or erase any trace just with water!

img_1814.jpg

Hello,

Wings have been glued, fit is good but great carte must be taken to get a perfect alignment.

Control surfaces were test fitted.

img_1815.jpg
img_1816.jpg
img_1817.jpg

Seam lines checked: Gun and MG inserts seams must be puttied.
img_1818.jpg

Eventually cowling panels were glued. In my opinion it is impossible to get a perfect alignment using the removable magnet sytstem.

Painting the Merlin was a good excersise but anyway I didn't intend to display the model with panels opened, so no regrets at all

img_1819.jpg
img_1820.jpg
img_1821.jpg

Canopy seam line removed:
Sandpaper 800, then 8000 (both wet), then Dremel polishing tool and it shines like a star!

img_1822.jpg

A beautiful rendition of the Spitfire cockpit! I really like the fact that your weathering is subtle and not over the top - let's face it, most Spitfires lasted a couple of months only...

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Small update before starting paint work.

Clear parts have been masked and painted on the inside, quite necessary at this scale I think.

img_2310.jpg

I added a small amount of Surfacer to the windshield/fuselage joint. The pilot access door is temporairly glued  using Pébéo Maskol.

img_2311.jpg

Ready for painting!
img_2312.jpg

A+

So here we go!

Since all markings will be painted using Montex masks, painting started with an application of Tamiya White over areas thas will be white, red or yellow.

I chose to depict Cirecooks VIII, a plane flown by SAAF Lt Eric Sutton 'Robbie' Robinson.

img_2313.jpg

I used Mr Hobby leveling thinner with a few drops of retarder to obtain a smoother finish. Prop spinner and blade tips received the same treatment.

img_2314.jpg
img_2315.jpg