Spitfire Mk.IXc Tamiya 1/32 completed

Warbird

Hello,

I'm back with the well known Tamiya big Spit. This will be mostly an out of the box build except some Barracuda resin goodies and few other stuff. Decoration is still to be determined but I will probably go for a desert camo scheme.

For a change I started with the engine. No detailing planned here since the cowling panels will be displayed closed (and possibly glued).

Once assembled (it child's play) I applied a coat of a 1:1 mix of Tamiya Nato black and semi-gloss back. The idea is to get a scale black.

img_0721.jpg

Then I sprayed a coat of Future to obtain the typical satin finish of the Merlin engines.

img_0722.jpg

The next step consisted in highlighting details with Vallejo metallic paint (Model Air Aluminium matt) using a fine brush. A black wash was then applied and some edges were highlighted using a graphite pencil.

img_0723.jpg

The engine was then treated with a light AK Interactive wash to simulate some accumulation of sand/dirt. Oil staining was added using a small piece of sponge dipped into AK Interactive's fuel stains and scratches were created using Vallejo metallic paint also with a tiny piece of sponge.

img_0816.jpg
img_0817.jpg
img_0819.jpg
img_0818.jpg

Edited by Warbird

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Some progresses around the engine. Good fit so far but not so easy to get a perfect alignment.

I used the Gunzer laquer (ref 364 within the specific interior color set) to match the grey-green and weathered with the products you can see on the first picture using my airbrush, a brush and a tiny sponge.

A quick dry fit of the cowling panels revealed future headaches to get perfect alignment, I'll see that later...

img_1610.jpg

img_1611.jpg

img_1613.jpg

img_1614.jpg

img_1615.jpg

A+

• 2 weeks later...

I have built two of these and your engine compartment work is stunning.  I would suggest though that when you get everything together that those cowling panels will work better than you think.  Everything I see in your build suggests that you have it together right and there are tabs at the front and back of each cowling piece.  When you add the exhausts and fit the cowlings around them you then slide the spinner and prop on and it all fits together unbelievably well.  You then should have the option of removing the cowlings when you want.