PCM 1/32 Tempest Build

alaninaustria

Thanks gentlemen! I was able to put some Ocean Grey and RAF Dark Green down today (Tamiya and Gunze Acyrlics thinned with isopropanol alcohol).... nothing to get excited about... but, the begining of bringing life into this bird... I am probably not 100% accurate in my application of the camouflage - but, its the best I could do and I did it free hand with a fine needle in my airbrush... some touch-ups to do still but she is starting to come together!!

photo1_zps4071a418.jpg

photo3_zpsb1e0e4c3.jpg

photo4_zps521f32ce.jpg

photo5_zpsc23bb6a5.jpg

I desperately need a new camera! The lighting in my hobby room is great on the eyes but horrible for taking pictures!! My appologies for the horrible pic quality!

Thats it for a few days... back to work tomorrow and will be busy for a awhile!! One trick I use to smooth out the paint after it dries in between colors is to use a fine grained sanding sponge to lightly pass over the painted area... this removes all ridges and imperfections and gives a beautiful smooth finish for the next color step...

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

What is the tubing size (Plastruct?  Evergreen?) you used for the relief tube?  Looks like wire insulation. You must be getting some envious looks from your "Big Jug".  What a great looking pair they would be sitting on the shelf...ready for a bar fight.  :)

Hi Rick! Yes, I used normal evergreen plastic to simulate the tube. It just needed to be drilled out after being glued in to place!

Not really sure who would win??? The Jug would prob give a good fight if she could catch the Tempest!! ;)

Thanks for the nice words guys!!! All the techniques and additions on this build have originally come from the membership of LSP in countless threads, builds and suggestions over the years! There are some outstanding individuals on this site and talented and gifted modelers too!! It's amazing actually how the internet has allowed each of us to share, learn and advance our skills ... Together!

I'm looking forward to moving ahead on this build!! Might get some bench time in tomorrow!!

Cheers

Alan

Hej thanks guys! I am really enjoying this build... it just is an incredible kit and a beautiful aircraft!

I was able to break away a little from daily life today and do some small painting jobs... I have primed up all the accessory parts and preshaded the gear doors and prop spinner... as well, I was able to get the prop blades painted in a nice lite satin black.... after 24 drying time, I will be able to add the scale 4' yellow prop tips!

I also finished up the rear upper turtle deck behind the cockpit.... the black framing represents the canopy seal which helped seal up the canopy when in flight with the canopy closed...

photo_zpsdea02119.jpg

Hope you all are enjoying this build! I believe PCM has given us large scale modelers a great kit of an extremely interesting late war British heavy fighter! She is going to look great next to my Spitfire collection!

A couple of quick questions for those in the know: are the late WWII Allied invasion stripes 13" in width on the actual aircraft? Did the RAF ground crews tape up the 20mm canon openings on the leading edge after rearming the birds before the next sorties? I have seen several period photos showing the cannon openings taped up... I always thought that was strictly a USNavy or RN procedure to keep out salt spray etc... it would make sense to do it to ground based RAF aircraft as well to keep the armament clean and free of any foreign debris... What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the feedback and I wish everybody happy modeling!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Nobody can answer my questions??

Would be great to get some feedback on British WWII RAF fighter details... ;)

Well, I was able to get some more bench time in today... bad weather outside so no visits to the lake for a swim! :(

I managed to get the prop tips painted up (4"=3.2mm!!), the main gear doors got a coat of Medium Grey and the squadron band was applied in the RAF Duck Egg Green... as well as the spinner!

Just a few quick shots to show some progress.... she is getting close to the finish line!

Cheers

Alan

photoTempest02_zps44a6b55e.jpg

photoTempest03_zps035ba0ee.jpg

photoTempest04_zps33610be1.jpg

Edited by alaninaustria