Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon.

AndyF

IMG_19889782745779_zpsbb2c9c65.jpeg

Well you knew it was gonna pop up on here sooner or later. Now you will need a Huge amount of space to build this Monster, as you can see, my workroom can manage most scales but i even had trouble getting the box in here.

IMG_19863885773123_zps4bd1ebca.jpeg

Before we start let me clear up something you may have heard about this kit. The Canopy is Terrible, everyone who has bought this has ended up with a Canopy with a large Dimple in it and the clarity of it is pretty poor too, Emails have been sent and we await a reply, but judging by Airfix Customer Service, it wont be long before a replacement arrives.

IMG_20140726_031353_zpsd5f1ff09.jpg

As you can see, the box is crammed full on plasic, i have removed all the sprues from there bags for a review i did on my YouTube Channel. After looking at all the parts of the kit, I must say its the best i've ever seen from Airfix, the stretched skin effects are great and will make the finished Aircraft stand out from the crowd. Pretty much everything you need to complete a super detailed Typhoon is in the box, no real need for Eduard or Aries to get involved in this one.

IMG_19845506836355_zps382b5f74.jpeg

After just an hour we end up with the basic tubework of the Cockpit and Engine Mount. I've placed my 12" ruler to show how big this bird is.

More Soon,

Andy.

Guest Peterpools

Andy

Looking forward to following your build as the Typhoon is going to be without question, a record setter for a kit build. Keep us informed on the canopy situation, as I'm hoping when the kit becomes available on our side of the pond, the canopy issue will have been resolved.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Don't hold your breath guy's with a replacement canopy from Airfix. I've been complaining since last year about quality issues with Airfix clear parts and up until now, nothing's been resolved. 12 of my new tool Airfix kits have webbing through the clear parts. I have contacted Airfix several times and they have sent replacements for some, not all of the affected parts and they have turned up with the exact same defects. They've even sent parts that I have not asked for. In their last email they have admitted that they do not have replacements that do not have the 'flow lines' through them and unfortunately it is part of the manufacturing process.

My Typhoon canopy and windscreen also has the distortion through it as well as a small crack on the sprue attachment. They will probably send a replacement but I'm expecting the same defect. Can't believe they haven't got this one right.

I love the new Airfix kits in general but am so frustrated with the clear parts. With every purchase I keep hoping that the problem will be resolved. Here's hoping !!!!!!!!!!!

All the best with the build.

Well I had an email from Airfix yesterday morning about the Canopy and this morning the replacement arrived !! Stupendous Customer service. Still working on the Cockpit Framing and it's going great. There was some debate over the colours of the Cockpit but I'm assured it was Silver and Black. I've went to town on the Chipping as most won't be seen anyway. I've also used Oils on the Leather Seat Back. I'll weather it a little later. Got a couple of days still to do here in the Office, work on all the Consoles, Oil Tank and Seat Belts.

More soon,

Andy.

IMG_20140728_070017_zps9651376e.jpg

Hi and welcome to the LSP forum.

also you do great entry with a new kit and a monster size.

great start and it looks real good.

sad that airfix have quality issues with their canopys, important part and bubble needs to be flawless....

hopefully you get a perfect one...

/Mal