Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IIa kit - Built as a 54 Sqn Spitfire Mk.Ia.

Derek B

Hi Derek,

fantastic work so far, you always have had an amazing eye for detail. Will you have to address the rivet line to align with the frames as well (these look out by at least the width of the frames).

It's says something that this kit is providing such feedback, in one camp it will suit the "if it looks like a Spitfire it will do for me" then there are the perfectionist's who are not afraid to spend time to address the issues and show the rest of us "mere mortals"  how achievable it is to produce an acceptable compromise with a limited amount of material.

Thanks Derek for yet another inspirational and informative master class. :clap2:

Bob

Thank you Bob - you are too kind :blush: (I see this as basic good ol' kit bashing).

I approached this with the aim of making the kit look acceptable as a representation of early Spitfire in a way that can hopefully help others come up with their own ideas to fix the problems - preferably with the only outlay being the time needed to do it.

As always, apart from a very rough idea of what I want to achieve, I have no detailed plans of how to correct things until I have investigated and researched (to the best of my ability and references) the issues that require correction. I then consider how best to achieve that and follow whatever route presents itself as the obvious option (it's sometimes great not to have a plan!).

I know that it may not look like it, but I am quite litterally flying by the seat of my pants a lot of the time in terms of how to correct the faults and I am therefore learning as I go along mostly. The only difference between us is that I have had more experience of screwing things up which forces me to come up with inventive ways of clearing up my own modelling messes, which I suppose could be passed off as experience!

What I am doing in this thread is only what suggests itself as a result of wanting to correct perceived kit problems (and is only one of many approaches that can be taken (see Iain's (32SIG) excellent similar build for example) - I am only offering possibilities, and hopefully inspiration, as an alternative to the need to automatically grab AM to correct kit problems.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I spoke to Iain at Telford SMW and his work is also inspirational. Since being directed to this site a couple of years ago, I have definitely improved my own skills. I to have delved into correcting kit anomalies,matchbox Victor intakes amongst other corrections being the earliest I can remember (using double bond, a tip I learned from you when you converted a 1/144 scale Comet into a Nimrod. It weighed quite a bit if memory serves me right). Having lived in Yorkshire for a while in my earlier days, I too learnt to save my hard earned Beer Tokens and make do and mend, :whistle: lol. However, since living and working in Wales, I have become soft and have succumbed to using am products, as the results were often far better than my own attempts. 

I have completed more kits this year than I had managed in the last few. Partly because of this site and partly because we have had a very active model club. I hope to add some content of my own work in the not too distant future, a Revell 1/32 Bf 109G, I have begun to photo diary my progress so far, it has started as an out of the box build unless I see something I need to correct. No doubt once I start I will be pointed in the right direction and to threads that will hopefully be helpful (as most of the threads here are).

BTW Derek, if you have a copy of Warpaint 36, you will find a photo of me on page 28 taken when Matchbox were measuring up and taking reference photo's and about 4 or 5 years before we bumped into each other on the Reds. (oh how young we were, and the hair :hmmm:)

Bob.

I spoke to Iain at Telford SMW and his work is also inspirational. Since being directed to this site a couple of years ago, I have definitely improved my own skills. I to have delved into correcting kit anomalies,matchbox Victor intakes amongst other corrections being the earliest I can remember (using double bond, a tip I learned from you when you converted a 1/144 scale Comet into a Nimrod. It weighed quite a bit if memory serves me right). Having lived in Yorkshire for a while in my earlier days, I too learnt to save my hard earned Beer Tokens and make do and mend, :whistle: lol. However, since living and working in Wales, I have become soft and have succumbed to using am products, as the results were often far better than my own attempts. 

I have completed more kits this year than I had managed in the last few. Partly because of this site and partly because we have had a very active model club. I hope to add some content of my own work in the not too distant future, a Revell 1/32 Bf 109G, I have begun to photo diary my progress so far, it has started as an out of the box build unless I see something I need to correct. No doubt once I start I will be pointed in the right direction and to threads that will hopefully be helpful (as most of the threads here are).

BTW Derek, if you have a copy of Warpaint 36, you will find a photo of me on page 28 taken when Matchbox were measuring up and taking reference photo's and about 4 or 5 years before we bumped into each other on the Reds. (oh how young we were, and the hair :hmmm:)

Bob.

Both I and the rest of LSP will look forward to seeing your Bf 109 Bob (and of course, I am certain that the members here will offer whatever help and advice that they can to help and inspire you). I do not have that Warpaint (I don't have any in fact), so I do not know what No.36 is!

I remember the Matchbox Victor well (I still have a kit) - If I can find some plastic tubing of the correct external diameter, I reckon that I could scratch build a 1/32 kit around it (same for the Tu-95 Bear and C-130 Hercules as well - I would be crazy enough to do it!).

Cheers

Derek

Hi again Derek,

No 36 is the Victor, as for a 1/32 one, Iain and I had discussed the possibility's over a Beer of starting one. I had started on gathering materials and my own K2 school notes with views of constructing a 1/48 scale one, however the news that Sanger had one in the pipe line stalled me. Now my juices are flowing at the prospect of a 1/32 Victor, please Iain and Derek, make it so.

As for the Bf109, I have assembled the cockpit and am now ready to close up the fuselage (a dry fit has gone together well) I tend to do most of my work in the afternoons after my "early's" shift, which happens to be this week and it also coincides with our club meeting (every 2 weeks on a Wednesday). So I hope to make my first posts by Christmas. However, I will be on 2 weeks leave with no modelling :( as all my tools are here in my flat and I won't have time over the holidays.

I will be purchasing some new additions to my stash (Revell Spitfire and HK Do 335) as a present to myself (if I have any spare cash left) :whistle:

Bob.

Edited by Victor K2

Hi again Derek,

No 36 is the Victor, as for a 1/32 one, Iain and I had discussed the possibility's over a Beer of starting one. I had started on gathering materials and my own K2 school notes with views of constructing a 1/48 scale one, however the news that Sanger had one in the pipe line stalled me. Now my juices are flowing at the prospect of a 1/32 Victor, please Iain and Derek, make it so.

As for the Bf109, I have assembled the cockpit and am now ready to close up the fuselage (a dry fit has gone together well) I tend to do most of my work in the afternoons after my "early's" shift, which happens to be this week and it also coincides with our club meeting (every 2 weeks on a Wednesday). So I hope to make my first posts by Christmas. However, I will be on 2 weeks leave with no modelling :( as all my tools are here in my flat and I won't have time over the holidays.

I will be purchasing some new additions to my stash (Revell Spitfire and HK Do 335) as a present to myself (if I have any spare cash left) :whistle:

Bob.

Enjoy your modelling Bob (whenever you can fit it in). If I did make a 1/32 Victor, Tu-95 or a C-130, it would purely be a one-off for my own pleasure, as it would be impossible to kit and market such a beast (for me at any rate).

Derek

Thanks Derek,

When I have the time and inclination I will attempt a start on such a mighty project. I have plenty of information to hand, I just lack the confidence to do it justice. It is one project that I dearly would love to see through.

The Bf 109 is back on the modelling table and I hope to make a little progress today. How's the Spitfire progressing? Have you come across any more area's for concern?

Bob

Thanks Derek,

When I have the time and inclination I will attempt a start on such a mighty project. I have plenty of information to hand, I just lack the confidence to do it justice. It is one project that I dearly would love to see through.

The Bf 109 is back on the modelling table and I hope to make a little progress today. How's the Spitfire progressing? Have you come across any more area's for concern?

Bob

I know Bob - maybe one day for me as well?

I have just finished extending the length of the entry door (and the matching fuselage aperture for it). My next job is to sort out the aft fixed glazing repositioning, which involves making a vertical fuselage extension (I have already completed the horizontal one, but I will have to add a little more to the right side). I will also need to reduce the height of the aft fixed glazing by about a couple of millimetres.

The two rear cockpit frames (11 and 12) will need checking for correct position and need adjustment to fit all of the bending, squeezing and tweaking that I have done to the fuselage to manipulate it into the correct shape.

There is an additional problem with the spacer bar that sits between the tops of frames 11 and 12 under the fixed aft glazing. As the kit fuselage wall thickness at frame 12 is generous, the frame sits inside the fuselage. Frame 11 on the other hand has no internal structure ti sit inside, so is the correct height. This means that the spacer bar would sit at an angle under the fixed aft glazing with a noticeable gap at frame 12.

I still have to make a new additional fuel gauge (I will just replicate the cockpit instrument panel item) and I need to scratch build a radiator operating handle. I will see what else is needed as I go along, but there is plenty to modify in the cockpit for now which is holding me up as far as getting the airframe assembled for the time being.

Experience of the aircraft itself and other 1/32 (and larger scale) Spitfire kits has taught me that although the overall length of the cockpit area from the front of the windscreen to the end of the fixed aft glazing is generally correct, the positioning of the cockpit area on the fuselage and the proportions of the windscreen, canopy/door and fixed aft glazing (and internal fuselage frames from 5 to 12) can vary greatly. This is the chief reason why there are major fit issues with AM cockpit interior detail sets or other canopy problems.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Modification of the rear fuselage where the aft fixed glazing abutts to it. The thickness of the clear part is approximately 0.7mm. I choose some 0.7mm thick plastic card, cut a 1mm wide strip and bent it to conform to the fuselage shape and glued it in place. This now leaves a 1mm step on the inside the fuselage which means that I shall have to modify frame 12 to fit correctly. Hopefully, it will allow the top of the frame to sit flush with the inside of the clear part so that there will be no gap between the frame spacer bar.

100_7067_zps12dda81a.jpg

100_7068_zps222e3b50.jpg

100_7069_zpsa5155188.jpg

100_7071_zps6cff3a47.jpg

100_7065_zps8c4f7338.jpg

The fixed aft glazing fuselage modifications now match the drawings, but still require blending/sanding to match the fuselage contours. The cockpit frames and clear part also require adjustment and modification to match. Once this is done, the major internal and external cockpit and canopy corrections are complete (apart from the bullet proof part of the windscreen) which will leave me free to concentrate of the detail modifications required inside the cockpit.

Derek

Loic, Kevin, Wolf - Thank you for the nice comments guys.

Aft fixed glazing mods completed. Next job is sorting the fuselage cockpit frames.

100_7072_zps93017bbe.jpg

100_7073_zps1d7790ec.jpg

100_7074_zpse025f1d2.jpg

100_7075_zps19e5ee20.jpg

Scribed line indicates where I need to remove 2mm from the transparency.

100_7076_zps3b6845ff.jpg

100_7080_zpse76207a4.jpg

100_7079_zps56516257.jpg

Derek

Mate,

this yellow primer looks soooo off on a spitfire that I can not wait for you to cover it with proper interior green  :doh:

And oh!...  nice clean work by the way  ;)

Patience my young Padawan, patience... :)

Derek