IAR 81C

rdobrze

Hopefully, a WIP thread is soon to follow?

I think this one is going to be my next "payday present to myself". :D  After doing the Icaero Designs kit for a friend, I decided I had to have this one in 1/32 for myself. I'll be looking forward to seeing some builds of this one.

John

I have my kit about ready for the airbrush. Things to watch out for- 1. be careful when mounting the engine to the fuselage- I had to reposition the assembly 3 times before I was satisfied   2. sand down the cylinder head covers to allow the engine nacelle to fit completely  3. TAKE YOUR TIME when mounting the flaps and ailerons- very tricky but rewarding look when finalized and the flaps were generally in the down position on the ground. I added a new circuit breaker panel to the right side wall in the cockpit, as the 81C had a larger panel than what the kit depicts, and some wiring to make things look more complete.  Visibility into the cockpit is somewhat limited when together. This really has been otherwise very easy to build this "limited run" kit. The landing gear and wheel cover assemblies are very nice but need some cleanup.  Radu's book is very helpful.  I want to say again "Thanks" to Azur-Frrom and Radu for their efforts.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to make those cone shaped items on the antenna wire? They seem really prominent on the IAR-81. Really nice kit. I'm in the initial stages getting the parts of the sprues and cleaning them up. Ron

Put a cone shaped reaming tool on a Dremel and run it up to as high a speed as it will go, plunge the tip into as thick a piece of sprue you can find. As the tip gets hot from friction a cone shaped bit of plastic will build on the tip. Turn off the Dremel and the plastic cools enough so you can pop the cone off. Keep at it until you make one with just the right shape to trim up with the #11 blade. Run your aerial thru the cone and glue in place. Wear safety glasses. You'll make a lot of duds but you'll also make a lot of keepers.

Does anyone know how to make those cone shaped items on the antenna wire? They seem really prominent on the IAR-81. Really nice kit. I'm in the initial stages getting the parts of the sprues and cleaning them up. Ron

...or hollow plastic lolly pop stick, over a candle and stretch like sprue and use the ends.

Edited by Kagemusha

...or, sharpen an old pencil and clamp it vertically into a vise.... Then using a couple of pairs of clamps hold a small sheet of thin styrene ( I use old white styrene plastic from yoghurt containers - the ones that have card on the outside and non-print plain white plastic) over a small candle... then when the plastic sags a little I pull it over the sharpened pencil which causes a plunge formed cone to form... Wait a few minutes for it to cool, remove the newly formed piece and trim it to size... I usually make twenty or so in one go while the candle is hot and keep them in a small parts tray for future use! I also use this method to form blisters and other exterior shapes found on wings and fuselages....

HTH?

Cheers

Alan