Pair of Friends, Pair of Huns Pair o Dice UPDATE 10/6 Masks!

LSP_Paul

Alright so some of you folks have been very non observant.. over two weeks ago I changed my  airplane pic in my sig.. then last week I changed my personal pic to the 90thTFS  "pair o dice"  logo.. then Ernie did, and THEN  some of you guys noticed...

Well, here we are. So here is what we are doing!

A brief background to the 90th in Vietnam:

The Squadron we chose to represent in the Group Build is the 90th Tactical Fighter Squadron.

The 90th Was Assigned to the 3rd Fighter Wing on 9 June 1964 and Flew the Hun from 9 June 64 to 19 November 1965 from Bien Hoa

From 3 February though the 10th of May 1965 the unit was detached.

From 3 February 66 through  31 Oct 1970 the unit flew from Bein Hoa and conducted the large proportion of its strike and interdiction work over South Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia.

Ernie and I will be doing a first ever Buddy Build in a Group Build of the same kit, same materials same squadron of the F-100 D Super Saber.

DSC00605_zpscc854eeb.jpg

Trumpy Kit, Aires Super Set , LOTS of AMS Parts, Quickboost Refueling probe ,Zacto nose,  Master pPitot tube etc etc  custom art/ masks decals.

You guys kick back and relax.. we got this! :coolio:

Now that Ernie has gotten all but  his IFR probe we can get  going.. Wish us luck folks..

Paul 

Edited by LSP_Paul

Here are some pics of what needs to be done.. LOTS of prep work..I Started in the Gear bays.  Basically you have to do some cutting, grinding,sanding, more grinding ,more sanding etc. then dry fit and you get some really excellent improvements especially in the wheel wells..

DSC00606_zps2b5d24a6.jpg

DSC00608_zps136facd5.jpg

DSC00609_zps53a33e9e.jpg

DSC00610_zpsa9d989d8.jpg

DSC00611_zpsb3c3e4b1.jpg

DSC00612_zps10ea0cba.jpg

DSC00613_zpscdffd4c4.jpg

Edited by av8shunmodels

More...

DSC00614_zps76e8c0fb.jpg

DSC00618_zps464fb7d8.jpg

Cockpit is almost a drop in fit, just remove the pour stub under the pit floor following Aires Directions. and clean up the pour stub under the seat  :)

DSC00620_zps6bb10c0f.jpg

Nose wheel gear Bay... fits really well after careful sanding and dry fitting.

DSC00622_zpsb90741be.jpg

Main fits really well too, just remove material SLOWLY and all fits as advertised

DSC00623_zps655aa832.jpg

DSC00624_zps834c1bb1.jpg

I then Washed all of the parts prior to breaking out a new can of my favorite primer to use on resin, Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer.

More soon! and Thanks for looking in on our builds.  :)

Paul

Edited by av8shunmodels

Resin should be cleaned up like this before you start trying to dry fit or paint anything..then washed with hot soapy water or tire cleaner  , I know Brian( out2getcha)  used to use Whestly's Bleach White..I use Dish soap called DAWN totally clean, it leaves all the parts SQUEAKY clean with no residue after a good rinse. :)

DSC00651_zpsf3e3f1ea.jpg

Edited by av8shunmodels

Thanks Martin!  I am not so worried about the rivets. By the time I hit it with Primer, then black, then Alclad, them Camo paint, they wont be as noticeable.. I am pretty sure Ernie is  going the same route.

Paul

Guest Clunkmeister

Yup, it'll have NMF under the camo, just as the original did. I might forego the panel shading with the NMF, though.. :rofl:

Hope you both have allot of fun on this build!!

Great job on the Tutorials, keep them coming!  :thumbsup:

Good luck on the buddy build and I will be watching!  :coolio:

Very interesting background about this Plane for sure.

Teresa   :D

Edited by Girlscanplay2

Man, really looking forward to this build! F-100 one of my all time favs. 

:popcorn:

Joe,

It was very hard for me to keep something as cool as this a secret for 3 weeks while Ernie went on vacation and waited for his stuff to get to him. I was very fortunate and was able to trade for my plane from Jack ( THANKS JACK!) / parts with Ernie ( thanks Ern) and have lots of support from Harold  at AMS  with research information and some outstanding new parts. (THANKS HAROLD!)  I hope Ernie and I can do justice to this outstanding airplane and the men who flew and maintained them.

thanks for checking in on my build,

Paul