Airfix 1/24 Typhoon inbox review

Sparzanza

Seems to me it's about time the aftermarket came out with a canopy/windscreen that has a separate frame and separate clear panels, just like the real thing, at least in larger scales like 1/32 and 1/24.  Granted, tolerances would have to be very close for correct fit --which would be expensive-- but I, for one, wouldn't mind paying a little extra for the convenience of eliminating all that tedious masking.

My Typhoon is in transit, so I should know in a few days how I fared in canopy quality control.

Jerry Peterson

Hey guys,

I just attempted to watch this review and I had to shut it down after a few minutes because I was annoyed.  Sorry but just could not watch the review in its entirely....WAY TOO BORING and I like the subject and the kit.  I would buy one except that it's in the wrong scale for me.  I can still see well enough to build 1/32....  I am sorely tempted but it just won't look right in a display cabinet with the 1/32 stuff.  I envy you guys who will actually build and display this single engined giant.  If anyone ever offered this kit in my preferred scale, I'd be all over it like a hobo on a bologna sandwich.

And they haven't sorted the canopy. It's still distorted.

Burn the witches says I! If they float, dry em out and burn em again till the canopy is smooth.

LOL..Kinda feel that way,but forgive Airfix for this,because !@%# happens.And we DO want Airfix to continue giving us brilliant kits in all scales.

I say more 24th scale aircraft from Airfix is never going to be a bad thing.

And they haven't sorted the canopy. It's still distorted.

Burn the witches says I! If they float, dry em out and burn em again till the canopy is smooth.

I like the fact that they tried to drown the accused. If they survived the attempted drowning, they were assumed to be a witch, and were then burned at the stake. Somewhat of a dilemma for the accused.

Canopy aside, I do think Airfix have truly hit the nail firmly on the head with this kit, they have taken their product to the next level and if because it, stress and panting becomes the norm across everyone else's kits, I'll be well happy. It takes the wooden look out of models and better exudes the real life feel of aircraft.

True some folks have commented they would like some things done differently, but aftermarket will no doubt fix those.

So well done Airfix, keep it up.

Edited by TonyT

Guest Peterpools

Tony

Completely agree; Airfix is to be congratulated for stepping up and going to the next level. I've purchased the kit and as far as I am concerned; it's a bargain and well worth the money. Maybe, just maybe they will take a look at some of their really older 24th scale kits and re-tool a few.

Anyway, looking forward to digging into the kit a bit down the road.

Peter :rolleyes:

I'me going to black the windows out and have a "in the hood drive by TIffy",SORTED!!!

But seriously,I got my replacement dimple canopy with all the dimples in the right place ,just like the original !.

The bag wasn't even sealed.

And any way if its not common to all the kits why can't they get the good bits to us too ?and save yourself a bob or two on The AM

malarkey .

Guest Peterpools

I'm pretty sure it is common to all the kits and replacements, just some a bit better or worse then others. Mine has the blemish but it just isn't that bad at all.

Peter

Yep, sent an email again and I quote

Canopies arrived and they are exactly the SAME, IF NOT WORSE, what Is the point on sending out defective replacement parts when you realise and know there is a fault with them.

I wonder if they have a vacancy for the post of quality control, as they do not appear to employ one.

Edited by TonyT

Guest Peterpools

Tony

Have to agree that sending out canopies with the same flaws didn't accomplish anything. I'm guessing that anyone with a cracked canopy now has a replacement with just the flaws and it is the best Airfix plans on doing.

Peter