Airfix 1/24 Typhoon inbox review

Sparzanza

Just received my 2nd replacement Q sprue after the original boxing was flawed as was the first replacement Airfix sent, though it was at least crack free. This second one is also crack free but still has the dimple/distortion. I don't know if this one comes from the replacement shipment Airfix mention in the email a couple of posts above, I had the same email myself as they only received and shipped some yesterday things from that part if the country generally don't get here overnight unless you use couriers. Not sure whether to fire off another email to Airfix.

Just received my 2nd replacement Q sprue after the original boxing was flawed as was the first replacement Airfix sent, though it was at least crack free. This second one is also crack free but still has the dimple/distortion. I don't know if this one comes from the replacement shipment Airfix mention in the email a couple of posts above, I had the same email myself as they only received and shipped some yesterday things from that part if the country generally don't get here overnight unless you use couriers. Not sure whether to fire off another email to Airfix.

Same here, Im not sure if Airfix are that bothered about the dimple, which is s shame. Not sure if I will bother with another E mail just to get another one with adimple.

Shame about the canopy...Why would they send out replacements with no change in the distortion.??

Don't want to ask for a third,my replacement arrived today and although no crack,the distortion in the main and windscreen are still there.

Shame about the canopy...Why would they send out replacements with no change in the distortion.??

Don't want to ask for a third,my replacement arrived today and although no crack,the distortion in the main and windscreen are still there.

I am now beginning to suspect that the AM guys will have to come to the rescue. Darn shame too, as the rest of the kit seems to be very well detailed, and as far as I can discern, pretty accurate too.

I hope Montex will be doing masks as weathered roundels look much better in 1/24.

I fancy a scheme with a bubble top, sky blunt 3 blade prop, bombs and the original yellow wing stripes and b/w underwing stripes. I have found one 3 blade bomber and others without stripes. Anyone found one with all the above?

I think you'll find that the yellow stripes were peculiar to the car door version, used as a means to deter friendly gunners from shooting at it. Apparently, several early Typhoons were shot down by Spitfires.

Perhaps not the time nor the place, but I'm beginning to discover some items that are a bit of a disappointment to me. Owing to injection limitations, the spring clips that attach the rockets to the rails are just solid chunks. (I assume and hope), that Eduard or similar will come to the rescue here. The warheads themselves have a blunt fall off on the aft end, when all references I can find indicate that these should be a gradual contoured taper. Cannon barrel shrouds are molded as one piece, when in fact there is an inner and outer section to the shrouds, and no attempt has been made to simulate this. My hope (and belief), is that Master will whip up something that will address this issue.

Guest Peterpools

Received my Typhoon today and the canopy has the blemish flaws but no cracks. I'm sure at this stage of the game, this is the way all kits will be shipped and Kev is correct in assuming it is going to need an AM replacement: hopefully clear resin and not vacu-form. To be honest, it really isn't that bad and if all else fails, I can live with it.

Peter

I have the kit and personally think it is a marvel (apart from the Canopy crack issue). It made me laugh when Phil Flory in his review talked about the ejector marks on Airfix compared to Tamiya Spitfire/Corsair. Has he build the Tamiya Spitfire as the one i have has a ton of ejector marks on the engine panels and cockpit areas in particular!

Whilst the kit is expensive I actually think compared to the competition it is great value for money - certainly a lot cheaper than Tamiya, ZM, Trumpeter and Hasegawa.

Don't get me wrong I think its a great kit all round I'm just a bit disappointed that both replacement canopies have the distortion/dimple issue. At least they were free! It isn't something that's going to stop me building the kit when the time comes.

I have 2 Typhoons en route and as much as i cant wait I am not looking forward to opening the clear parts bags.

Should be fun convincing Airfix to ship clear parts to Australia.

Does anyone gave ine without distorted canopy or flow lines in the windscreen?

Do they not have any QC insoection prior to bagging the parts?

It seems not as neither the kit nor replacement parts are being checked.

Pretty basic stuff being missed really.

Looking forward to them arriving but still hesitant and disapointed in Airfix for such a major but easily stopped gaff that should never of happened.

Hopefully Alley cat may come to the rescue.

Edited by Darren Howie

I have 2 Typhoons en route and as much as i cant wait I am not looking forward to opening the clear parts bags.

Should be fun convincing Airfix to ship clear parts to Australia.

Does anyone gave ine without distorted canopy or flow lines in the windscreen?

Do they not have any QC insoection prior to bagging the parts?

It seems not as neither the kit nor replacement parts are being checked.

Pretty basic stuff being missed really.

Looking forward to them arriving but still hesitant and disapointed in Airfix for such a major but easily stopped gaff that should never of happened.

Hopefully Alley cat may come to the rescue.

Not an issue to Australia. My second arrived very quickly, still with the dimple which seems pretty much the standard. I mentioned a few posts back that a resin replacement would be a solution. I think that HPH should take it on as they seem to have the expertise and I'm sure they'll sell a few if the price is right.

Cheers for that!

Got home tonight and my first one has arrived.

Lucky for me the clear parts are blemish free and no flow lines.

Hopefully the second will be ok as well.

Spent a while looking through the pieces and as discussed it is very impressive kit.

A real statement from Airfix saying they have arrived in grand style back in the modelling scene as a force.

My replacement sprue has the dimple as well and a runny looking windscreen.

I have one profile of SF-B with the original factory wingstripes, sky 3 blade spinner. Did 137Sq carry bombs?