Airfix 1/24 Typhoon inbox review

Sparzanza

Sl if some kits are not showing this, does it mean that it's a mould release timing issue.ie too early whilst the parts still too warm. Surely the error wouldn't be I the production of mould itself.

That would be my guess at this stage. If it's a depression in the plastic, it has possibly been formed by having the sprue ejected before the plastic has fully hardened. Throw in a couple of variables around conditions and timing, and you have an explanation for the inconsistent mould quality we're seeing. It definitely wouldn't be a feature of the tooling itself.

Kev

I'm sure Airfix are saying 'Holy Crap, whats goin on'. Think we all agree that £100 is a lot to put out for a wonky canopy. As others have said the rest of the kit is spectacular and will build into a show winner with a little effort. Airfix will sort out the problem I'm sure.

Andy.

Should watch this vid...He is obviously upset(When watching the video you can see and feel his disappointment) and 100 quid is a lot to pay for a dodgy canopy as he said.

I will start on a vac form replacement for myself as soon as it arrives early next week.(expecting the same)The reason I'll go that way is because we'll avoid the frustration of sending it off to Airfix for a replacement in the mail,which surely will take some time as Airfix will have to replace what is starting to look like thousands of them.obviously a quality control issue.

But..as he points out, this is a minor setback and everything else about the kit is stellar so ..not the end of the world.

Edited by williamj

Yup, my Mossie kit also has a deformed tyre, I wonder if they can do both at once :)

It would not surprise me if they had picked it up and had them recast and in stock to deliver out to those who have purchased the kits when they ask for them.

No great shakes as I won't be nailing the canopy on for a while..

Edited by TonyT

My canopies the same, shame really as they have gone overboard to protect them, they are wrapped in tissue then a foam bag then sealed in a poly bag

All the more reason they should have discovered the flaw. I've not yet seen the kit, so it still may prove to be an anomaly of some sort. Time will tell I guess.

Did I sound Disappointed ! You know I was, as I was really looking forward to getting this kit. Other than the Canopy the kit is Spectacular. Like I say, I'm sure Airfix will get it sorted. If not you can make two vac-formed Canopys William.

Andy.

Yep, shame about the canopy! :wacko:

I got my kit today and the dreaded dimple isn't too bad, but I've got some distortion on the front end middle section on my copy, and a small crack on the top front end of the actual bubble canopy itself.

I agree that the rest of the kit is completely stellar!!

Everything points to pulling this piece too hot from the mould IMHO.

Airfix will sort out this issue, but I wonder if they put the production factory under too much pressure to get these kits out on time? 

However, if this is pretty much a general complaint Airfix should just send out better canopies and suck up to the cost!

Let's hope the next batches are a large improvement on these or even better, totally resolved!

One would have thought they would pass the cost onto the production company as they obviously poked the eyes out of their quality control person, or he has cataracts.

I wonder if the delay though was to get replacements produced, they could hardly open every box and replace them, so send them out and wait for those contacting them, superb kit though :) well pleased.

Edited by TonyT