Any book about lozenge or more generally WWI german camo?

Zero77

Hi,

Any book about it?

I've found a very interesting topic in a forum about lozenge printed fabric camo, with the different layout of the fabric (orientation), the way the rib tapes goes, and so on.... But it would be even nicer if there was a book ! (i love paper....)

No books dealing specifically with that subject as such (lozenge that is), at least that I'm aware of, but most of the Albatros Productions books pertaining to German aircraft that had it, have diagrams and descriptions, like this book on the Fokker D.VII.

If you can find the Smithsonion book on the restoration of their Albatros, that will help. There is a guy on ebay selling pieces of lozenge upper and lower at auction, very small pieces, around 9-10 $ US. Do not bid on them as he has apparetly quite a bit, and there is always more. Quite a racket as I see it, and he won't sell a meaningful size piece for anything I can afford, so I have small bits, but to compare color with.

The Munson book is a "pretty little book" and inspires us to make some of those planes, but it is certainly not one that would serve even as an introduction to lozenge camo. The profiles are only a few inches long (maybe 80 to 100 cm). The various Datafile publications often show the patterns, but only for that plane. The Smithsonian book on the Albatros D.Va restoration is one of the best for showing detail, but only for the one particular type that was on their machine. Four color, five color, upper, lower, faded, lozenge or solid tapes, painted, hex, etc., etc., etc..

Each of the Datafile publications shows typical camouflage for the particular plane, and they varied all over the map. Dan San Abbott (now deceased) had his own book but you bought it one page at a time up until just before he passed away, when he sold a disk version of some of the camo and markings of many German WWI planes. Good stuff, but controversial for some. The Osprey Aces series also has drawings of camouflaged planes, but no single reference for all German camo.

The debate continues on and on as to who has the best representation of the lozenge, faded, new, etc.. Doug Baumann sells his own printed decals from his research, as do WNW, Aviattic, Pheon and more. Just look on ebay or google those guys and you'll see multiple options. Hannants just picked up most of the Aviattic versions. There are just a lot of possible interpretations.

If you wanted the other members of the Entente, the Austro-Hungarian services are a bit more covered, yet they are not the same as the German versions. Martin O'Connor's Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire had a lot of information, as do several other books in a variety of languages.

You guys are correct that if Ray Rimell took this on, it could be an amazing book, but it would be a very large one.

Tnarg

If you're interested, i will make a comparison test of the main lozenge decals producer very soon. Certainly this weekend.

There will be Aviattik, Wood and Wire, HGW, and oviously WNW. I did not know Doug Baumann's production, so i cant put it in the comparison. Pheon does not make lozenge anymore.

The test wont be based on color accuracy, as it is anyway too much controversial, but only on wich one looke cool, the fabric realism, etc... There will be 4 and 5 colors, and upper and lower, so it will be fully covered.

• 2 weeks later...

Our member Jamo has done something similar a while ago. I have WNW lozenge, and some Aviattic lozenge. I see needing a mix of their "regular" style for lower, as well as some faded "upper" with possibly some "tinted" thrown into the mix; this for a DVII. If one is going to venture into WWI German stuff it would pay to learn a bit about this subject.

Guest Dekenba

For the lozenge decals, Aviattic really are utterly superb. They have the pattern of the fabric very subtly included, together with accurate colours & great choices. I'm not aware of a single volume covering the issue - your best bet would be the Datafiles series. 

But WWI camouflage is an utter minefield....

I've just received all the lozenge decals sheet i wanted, this week.

Tomorrow i may shoot pictures of all for a big comparison test.

At the moment, i can say that all Aviatik, HGW and Wood and Wire are very good looking and they all are worth it. The aviatic are the more bright colored (maybe a bit too much for the "factory fresh", but it can be nice for a colorful build), the HGW have a bit different colors, with a more subtle fabric effect that looks quite good at the scale. The wood and wire seems to have a bit more toned down colors, that may look the more realistic (but nobody never knows...). I am actually using the wood and wire 4 colors for my Roland D.VIa, and they are quite nice to use, though a bit delicate, but i think they all are quite fragile if they are thin enough to conform the surface details of the wing

See you tomorrow with the pictures.