Hasegawa's Curtiss BF2C-1 *DONE!*

Nice !

You gotta love these old classics and yellow wings !

It may be a parallax effect from the photography, but to me the chevron looks like it was set slightly skewed to the left, with uneven right and left angles to the centerline.

Anyway, you've moved on now, and the end result will look spectacular.

Good job !

Hubert

Nice!

I have one of these I want to build up as a Nationalist Chinese Curtiss, but the kit engine is apparently the wrong one.

Not even sure where to start, there. Maybe just ignore it?

Tim W.

Somewhere in the LSP archives is an article on converting this kit to the correct model for the Chinese bird. The modeler took a block of foam, Turned it on a drill, like a lathe, and sanded it to the proper contour. He then covered it with fiberglass and resin, allowed it to set, then poured Acetone onto the foam core to remove the core. HTH.

Here it is-

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=139

Edited by Lee White

Thanks, guys!

I've made more progress today. I'll post pics tonight. But, so far, it's on it's wheels and the windscreen is in place as well as the drop tank and cooler. I screwed up and drilled a hole in the wrong spot for the telescopic sight, so there's some filler putty curing in that, right now. :doh:  I'll be working on getting the struts cleaned up and everything ready for rigging, later today/tonight.

Thanks again for all the positive comments and discussion.

John

Okay, I'm calling this one done. I have a few touch-up things to do, but it's pretty much there.

The rigging fought me the whole way. I'm not sure why, but it seemed ten times harder than the F4B. They're very similar, so it must have just been me. :mental: The engine went together pretty well, with the only real trick being the exaust pipes, which I installed after the engine was attached to the plane. If I had to do over again, I may add them before putting the engine on, so that it's easier to maneuver. However, it seemed easier to figure out which pipes went where, after the engine was installed. So, tough call. I also hollowed out the ends of the exhaust pipes and I had removed the wingtip lights when I built the upper wing, so I made new lights using a PE teardrop template and smash forming new ones with melted clear sprue. I then painted them with Future that was tinted with food coloring. Red for the left and blue for the right. The fuselage spine light (just forward of the vertical stab.) was made from melted clear sprue, as well. The cowl lacks any real method of positive attachment to the engine and aligning the upper/lower halves. I installed the lower half, first, gluing it to the bottom cylinder heads with CA glue. When I had it in what I thought was the most level/squared position that I could, I put a drop of accelerator into the cowl. Then, I attached the top half, trying to align it the best I could and get it glued to the upper cylinders in a similar fashion. I wish the alignment was a little better, but I wasn't about to tear it apart and try over, for fear of chipping up the paint on the outside of the cowl. If I had done that, I would be pretty much screwed and have to paint it all over again. Plenty of little flaws, but I still think it turned out okay.

Tomorrow should be decent weather for outdoor photography, so I'll try to get "good" pictures, then. For now, I just snapped a few in my shop. I'll post the good ones in the RFI forum when I get them and update the thread accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for following along and looking in.

John

20141017_192546_zps3c295f47.jpg

20141017_192529_zps5ce1caa1.jpg

20141017_192515_zpsd3f33c3f.jpg

20141017_192459_zpse1cf820f.jpg

20141017_192446_zps0d357c0c.jpg

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, Ron and Kevin!

Wow, already?

LOL. I had to knock this one out so I can dive into that new Trumpy Stuka, as fast as possible. I should be starting that in the coming week. I need to build fast, as I currently have more kits than my "stash shelf" has space. :D

Thanks again,

John