How to do radio antenna

Hello guys, I'm sure this has been discussed before. Could somebody please help me out with this. I have a few builds accomplished now and they all require an antenna. When it comes to making these or attaching these is where I fail at miserably. If you guys could take me under your wing and show me your guys techniques either by pictures or videos or how ever you guys can beat it in my head on how to do this

Thanks guys

Jeff

I've found that the best material for antennas still remains stretched sprue. Fragile, yes but works.

First grab a piece of off-cut big enough to hold between two hands without burning. Make sure that you remove any seams that are evident from the mould, otherwise these will show up on you aerial.

Simply stretch the sprue over gentle heat(candle) ( above the flame not in it).When the sprue begins to show a shiny glean, remove it and stretch evenly and consistently. It will get thinner and thinner. Cut the desired piece a little over size, remembering that a layer of paint is going to go over it so don't go too thick, lay it on the model and glue. When you have finished this, get a match and gradually bring it closer to the sprue but not too close. It will then go tight. Then use some white glue to blob each end where the insulators are.

The only other recommendation I have is to use some wing nut wings elastic used for rigging. It seems thin enough and subtle enough but I haven't yet used it.

It depends on the application Jeff. It bonds quite well with CA, so it can be as simple a small dab of CA on whatever the attachment point is on the fin, hold the end of the line against it until it sets, then another dab of CA on top of the aerial mast, stretch the line across it and hold until it sets. Then trim with a sharp knife or scissors.

Of course, this makes no account for sophisticated attachment points and so on, all of which require more work and planning whatever approach you use.

Kev

I found that e.g. whip antennae could be very good represented by these plastic fasteners used in fabric to hold up a brand mark or price tag, just cut off the flat part and use the flexible string as antenna.

Just drill a tiny hole and attach it with super glue.

jack

Edited by Jack

Jeff for long aerial antennas I use EZ- Line I first make a eye out of .001mm wire using a number .80 wire drill I fold the wire in half then I twist the wire around the shank of the drill bit then I drill a hole in the tip of the front side of the vertical stabilizer (tail) just below the tip and glue it in with CA  then I drill a hole in the mast also with a no.80 thread the end of the EZ-line thru the mast first put a dab of ca on it use a toothpick or a piece of wire next thread the other end thru the eye take slack out of it put a dab of ca on. I use .003 char-coal gray EZ-line for both 1/48 scale & 1/32 I think the .006 is too thick, It looks OK for 1/24 or larger. You can also make micro springs for the antenna with the micro wire you can get it at Sprue Brothers Nickel Silver wire by wrapping it tightly around the drill bit. I hope this helps you some.

Paul

Edited by happy1

True Details made (likely OOP, but still common at model swap meets) PE bomb sway braces in 48 & 72nd scale. These braces mimic the antenna attachment points for rudders and wings and will accept EZ line and sprue thru the holes. If you can find some it will save you a ton of hole drilling and if you mess up or the line breaks, the tip of a small screwdriver heated up will clear out the end and you can do-over. Wish I could attach a photo so you can have the aha moment, why didn't I think of that?

I use fishing line that I superglue into place in both ends... if the line slacks I just chuck the plane upside down, start a lighter and hold it roughly 15 cm under the line. This will make it go all boing boing tense, and that's when you turn the lighter off. Works a treat! After that, the line is strong enough to withstand having a marker pen drawn across it to "paint" it.

revisited4_zps37b7cb15.jpg

I found something that was interesting years ago.

My brother restored old Barbie dolls. (really, lots-O-cash in them)

He had Barbie hair on spools, many colors as well. (fine filament)

He gave me a spool of dark drown and black. I used it on everything.

I then realized human wigs (not human hair)  were made of the some type of material.

Stretched clear sprue.

1/. It's included in the price of the kit.

2/. It costs nothing to replace.

3/. It breaks rather than dragging the model onto the floor if you snag it.

4/. It has a sheen, which looks metallic, and WWII British aerials were stainless steel.

Jeff for long aerial antennas I use EZ- Line

I first make a eye out of .001mm wire using a number .80 wire drill.

Then I drill a hole in the tip of the front side of the vertical stabilizer (tail) just below the tip and glue it [the eye, or just EZ line?] in with CA  

Then I drill a hole in the mast, also with a no.80 thread, then [put?] the EZ-line thru the mast.

First put a dab of ca on it use a toothpick or a piece of wire.

Next thread the other end thru the eye take slack out of it put a dab of ca on. I use .003 black EZ-line for both 1/48 scale & 1/32.

Paul

This sounds like the way to do it.

Are WW1 turnbuckles relevant to WW2 prop communication antenna lines? Rather than making an eye, would these be relevant?

Am thinking of lines for types like the Me 262, Ju 88 and He 111.

Thanks

Tony