F7 Mig 21 and F13 Mig 21 - Whats the differences?

rohan

Made in China. Differences increased as the F.7 series evolved. The biggest is the canopy and wings but there are other differences.

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/plus/list.php?tid=65&TotalResult=104&PageNo=6

If you click on the pictures in the Trumpy on-line catalogue you can compare the contents (in most cases)

HTH

Tony

Edited by Tony T

Thanks guys.  Can I use the Pavia F13 cockpit set in the F7?  Was the F7 used by the North Vietnamese in the vietnam war or just the F13?

What after market is around for the F7 or F13?

I was making a joke about the Trumpeter kit Rohan lol.

I don't think the VPAF used the F-7, although they certainly used the Shenyang J-6, the Chinese built MiG 19.

The "F" nomenclature between the Russian and Chinese MiG-21s aren't related. The Chinese Mig-21 variant was just called F-7, and is a designation for the type, like the F-16. The Chinese MiG-19 was called the F-6/J-6. The Russian MiG-21F-13 was a specific model of the MiG-21 series, like F-16C Block 40. The -13 in the Russian designation was because it was a MiG-21F modified to carry the K-13 (AA-2) missle.

The Chinese F-7 was based on the MiG-21F, but I believe it used a different ejection seat because the canopy was different. The MiG-21F used a forward hinged single piece canopy, while the F-7s had a side hinged canopy with a fixed windscreen.

Edited by Dave Williams

The real things are somewhat different, but Trumpeter's kits use almost all of the same plastic.

The Pavla MiG-21F-13 correction set can be used on this Trumpeter F-7 kit, and backdates most of the improtant stuff. The Trumpeter kit has a lot of early/mid/late detail parts, so check your references for which parts to use. 

Also, the North Vietnamese did have a small number of F-7s, but I couldn't determine if they had/used them during the war or not.

HTH,

D

ok but was the it just the F13 that was used in the Vietnam war?

If I understand the question correctly, you're basically asking whether the VPAF used Russian or Chinese MiG-21s. I think they only used Russian MiG-21s, the F-13 and the MF, during the war.

I was just wanting to know if they used the F7 version in the vietnam war as well as the other variants 

No, I'm pretty sure all their MiG 21's were soviet built.