WnW Sopwith Snipe - 17Sqn - Hawkinge - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys!

More progress last night.......................

Got the prop masked off, then shot the front with my version of service gray (AKA DG gray). Then I turned the prop around, and right over my paint booth ventilation, shot the back with matt aircraft black, not masking anything off. This worked a treat, so then once dry, I removed the masking painted the prop hubs MM steel, then added some scale hardware .08 brass nuts.................I know these are not as prominent on the 1:1 but IMHO sometimes things in scale size, have to be beefed up in color or visual intensity to get the same effect in the smaller size/scale.

Still, all in all it came out cool looking IMO:

DSC03190.jpg

DSC03192.jpg

DSC03191.jpg

Now it was time for.................................FOIL!

I have gone over my foil technique here on the forums quite a bit, and there are many peeps here now who also foil, so I wont get into all that................but I did start as usual with a nice flat square of tile to work on.

The one area where my technique may differ a little from most is that I found for me, using MS foil glue thinned with bottled water shot through an air-brush works better than using a hand brush to apply the glue.

This is not to say mine is better or worse, I just find for me bersoally its what works.

Got my Tile square, airbrush loaded w/thinned MS foil glue, multiple spreaders, some 90% alcohol, a bowl of tap water and some eye droppers:

DSC03184.jpg

First I glued the wings on, so I could foil the bottom section that is attached to the exposed NMF area on the nose all in one. I wished I could have waited to attach the wings, but with the front fuselage section as a molded part of them, I thought it would be better this way:

DSC03183.jpg

Got the under belly started, along with the fire-wall:

DSC03186.jpg

After that was finished up and burnished, I moved on to finishing the engine and installing the Bentley:

DSC03188.jpg

The bottom is not quite done, as there are a few little sections to fix, and to finish burnishing, but it looks ok I think:

DSC03194.jpg

DSC03189.jpg

The last section I got a start on was the upper cockpit cowl:

DSC03198.jpg

All for now guys and gals. More work to proceed today a little then this week could be back to slow mode.

Stay tuned and cheers!

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Tremendous progress on the Snipe and as usual, your foiling is simply stellar.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys. I finished off a lot of the foil yesterday, but am holding off on pics until its done, so you can get an idea of what it looks like in the end.  Pics to come shortly!

Thanks for stopping in on me, and cheers

Thanks guys.  :D  Got the cowl itself glued on (fit was stellar) and finished up all of the foiling.

The foiling wasn't a dig beal till I hit the cowl itself.............which was exactly as I expected it to be. But I wrangled it into submission, and did finally triumph to my own satisfaction.

Its by NO means perfect, or even the best foiling job Ive ever done, but I do think it turned out neat looking all the same. On the flip side of that there was no wrinkling or sanding of the foil required either:

DSC03200.jpg

DSC03201.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

DSC03204.jpg

DSC03205.jpg

DSC03207.jpg

Before foiling the cowl, I even attempted some dings, dents and weathering on the foil.................some turned out good, and others not so much. You can just barely catch a glimpse of the dings put in in this pic, which will look better and more appropriate with the final weathering:

DSC03209.jpg

After the foiling was done, I painted the strut details gloss black as that install is heading up fast:

DSC03210.jpg

I also managed to get the blue on the wheels painted, the tires painted black, with some "weathered black" for the tread area, and after all that dried, got a coat of gloss on the tires in prep for the Palmer Cord Aero tire decals:

DSC03211.jpg

More to come this week..............I hope. Or maybe not. I definitely have to work this weekend (BLECH!) but hopefully will be back to the little Snipe ASAP, as im having a blast with this one!!

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

The cowl foiling looks incredible, including the dings and dents. of course, I'm not even going to mention your struts which just knocked me out!

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Teresa, Peter, thanks very much for the positive comments.

Now that the foiling is done, Im going to push on toward the rigging. I still need to paint the Bobs Buckles tubes that I will use for the rigging, as well as having to paint the cockpit combing that I forgot about.

BUT.....................Im getting close.  Working on a few ideas to get some color on the BB tubes atm. I will also be using some of my new Uchi's new rigging material for the control surface cabling to see how it works.

Cheers!