WnW Sopwith Snipe - 17Sqn - Hawkinge - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

Best biplane model I've ever seen.

Congratulations master modeler!

Great build Brian!  

I've definitely bookmarked this thread .. I've a Snipe (an "Early" though) sitting in my stash waiting for the go at some point.  

BTW - Prym's thread is also available in black (their code 970 010):

ac6d5552-f38b-4ece-9e94-5c08551a2598_zps

But, I have to say that Uschi's thread is very, very good too!

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks guys!!

Wow Grant I didnt realize Prym had black................cool!  Ill have to pick some of that up.

• 5 months later...

Rigging now progressing,

I also utilized 1/48th  scale Gaspatch turnbuckles on all of the control surface buckles that called for them,

Hi Brian, apologies for resurrecting this thread but I'm interested to discover just how you attached the rigging thread to the 1/48th scale turnbuckles. Those things are tiny. Did you use a sleeve to thread the rigging insde and glue over the end of the turnbuckle or is the rigging simply glued to the end of the turnbuckle?

Any explanation is very welcome, cheers.

Hi Brian - this is a stunning build - embarrassed to admit I completely missed this one for some unknown reason!!  :(

Great work - and thanks for the details - really great and useful tutorial. :thumbsup:

Been tempted by a post war Snipe - this build is a clincher. Believe they are working on post-war DH-9A and Brisfit as well - can't wait.

Iain

Hi Brian, apologies for resurrecting this thread but I'm interested to discover just how you attached the rigging thread to the 1/48th scale turnbuckles. Those things are tiny. Did you use a sleeve to thread the rigging insde and glue over the end of the turnbuckle or is the rigging simply glued to the end of the turnbuckle?

Any explanation is very welcome, cheers.

Hey Guy,

I actually used the 1/32nd GP turnbuckles for the control lines on my DH-2, and used EZ Line for the control lines themselves......................IMHO this did look a bit over-scale on both accounts; the turnbuckles and the line itself.

Thats when I switched to the 1/48th scale buckles and Uschis fine rigging thread. It is significantly thinner than EZ Line, and proved very stable in profile, and did not shred.

For attachment, I basically took a needle and opened up the 1/48th turnbuckle ends just a bit, then used some micro tweezers to thread the Uschi rigging through the eye-hole, then fed the Bobs Buckles tubes over that, snipping off the excess Uschi thread with some thread snips.

Hi Brian - this is a stunning build - embarrassed to admit I completely missed this one for some unknown reason!!  :(

Great work - and thanks for the details - really great and useful tutorial. :thumbsup:

Been tempted by a post war Snipe - this build is a clincher. Believe they are working on post-war DH-9A and Brisfit as well - can't wait.

Iain

Thanks Iain! That is quite a complement considering the caliber of your builds my friend.  :D  I really love the little post war snipe, and although I normally dont have good luck with painting silver and NMF, this one turned out like the build itself; GREAT!   The kit was REALLY a joy to put together just like most all of Sir Peters kits do.  This was one of the easiest and quickest builds Ive had, where things just kind of fell into place, and it was a TON of fun.

Brian.,

this is ONE of the BEST Sopwith Snipe's I have seen ..

AWESOME :party0023: :m0152:

Thanks my friend! With some of the builds  you and I have both seen on LSP, its hard to say anything around here is the "best" simply based on the number of extraordinary builds, and builders we have around here!

Thanks again for lookin in on me!

Brian:  I've been following this thread and waiting for the finish, and I haven't been disappointed.  I just wish that my Early Snipe had turned out as well as yours.

Congratulations on a Winner

Barney

Thanks Barney! Ive admired your AS models for quite a long time, and now that Paul at FM&P has out a few out, Im really hot and heavy to get one or two. 

The little snipe was actually finished back in early August, but I think Guy just brought the thread back up to life to ask a question about the 1/48th GasPatch turnbuckles.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Hi Brian, thanks for the explanation. My quandry is that I will need to attach a cable to the other end, i.e, the non-eyelet end. :hmmm:

I've just had a go and used a short length of 0.5mm tube as a sleeve, feeding the end of the wire and the turnbuckle into the micro tubing. It's not ideal but it beats trying to glue a piece of wire to the end of one of the turnbuckles. :mental:

Cheers.

• 10 months later...

I know, I know, I am reallllllly late to the party but if you need decal/design help for this incredible Tigercat project... let me know!

Or a 1/32nd F7F.......................shortened by 1.5-2 feet................with high pressure spinners, and 4 blade props from FM&P....................and scratched Horner tips....................with a scratched & enlarged Sky Raider vertical tail.................filled and smoothed over most panel lines....................with a metallic gunmetal gray and electric tangerine lacquer paint job...........................mounted gear up...............round a Reno pylon...........

I haven't thought about it much :rolleyes:

• 6 years later...