Homemade decals

ajaycad

Has anyone upscaled decals before. I want to upscale 1/72 decals to 1/32 scale as the subject I am interested isn't available in 1/32. I'm guessing scanning the originals, then using some form of graphic software to enlarge then re-print on decal paper, but would appreciate any experienced advice.

I would either scan - blow up and then trace over the top to produce new vector images using something like Illustrator, or CorelDraw.

Or just draw up from scratch in one of the above packages - just using the 1:72 decals for reference (often quicker!).

Just scanning and scaling up will create 'woolly' images.

Iain

You may also encounter problem with decals including white color. Either you print on a white decal sheet but the decals wont be cutout (you will have to do it yourself and it can be a challenge for some complex drawings), or print on a clear decal sheet but as the printers do not have white ink, the white color on your scheme will only be transparent so you will have to paint some white under the decals.

Edited by Zero77

What markings are you trying to reproduce?

Iain

In anticipation of HK's 1/32 Lancaster, a company called Kora produce a decal set in 1/72 of a Lancaster B1 W4842 ZN-HJ of 106 Sqdn. This aircraft has a personal link, which is why I'm interested in upscaling Kora's decals.

The story:

As a teenager, my family lived next door to an ex RAF Lancaster tail gunner. He would never discuss his experiences, and we never asked out of respect. I moved away from home to join the navy, but my parents still kept in touch even after they moved from the area. Unfortunately our old neighbour passed away recently, and my parents went to his funeral.

After a couple of hours on Google, I found out that on 27/28 May 1943 his aircraft (W4842 ZN-H of 106 Sqdn) was shot down returning from a raid on Essen. It crashed near Warmond in Holland and all the crew were taken prisoner. He spent the rest of the war as a POW, I also fouind out from my mother that he was subjected to forced marches, on one occasion they were strafed by American P-47's who mistook them for a column of German soldiers. Luckily they survived that experience.

That aircraft was called "Fema Dora" and my plan was to obtain a set of the Kora decals and scan the noseart and serial and scale them up to 1/32 scale.