What are we actually missing in 1/32?

airscale

Well, we are still missing these:

Val,

Kate,

Ju-87A

Devastator

Yes, I know these have been promised. Some by Trumpeter. Uh huh, Trumpeter promises next month but they omit which year. There have been kits that were announced and finally appeared 4 years later.

But eventually most come out so I cannot holler at them. They are trying and eventually they do produce. One just has to have patience.

And the others have been announced. OK, so we will wait.

After all, I  have been retired for well over a decade and we retired folk are supposed to be sitting on a beach in Florida sipping drinks that have umbrellas in them and waiting patiently to die. Thats why people retire to Florida, isn't it?

Stephen

After all, I haven't the time to even open the boxes of the kits I have in my stash, not to speak of building them.

• 9 months later...

so, it's a year since asking the question..

..grateful thanks to Kittyhawk and Silver Wings for going at the list but there are still quite a few 1/32 subjects that are just begging to be done, and that is without even looking at what needs re-popping (Tamiya P51B/C anyone..)..

I like to look at the list and dream about scratchbuilding / kitbashing, but then again these are our golden years in 1/32 so who knows what we can scratch off next year..

WIP627_zpszsg3zo2t.jpg

WIP628_zpsbr6g3azb.jpg

..have I missed anything?

Peter

There must be something wrong with me...there isn't a single plane on that I would run out and buy. I guess that means that pretty much everything I care to build in 1/32 is already being made, even though I don't own it all yet. I can't decide if that's good, or bad.

Tim

There must be something wrong with me...there isn't a single plane on that I would run out and buy. I guess that means that pretty much everything I care to build in 1/32 is already being made, even though I don't own it all yet. I can't decide if that's good, or bad.

Tim

Really???

There are very few WWII props on that list that I WOULDN'T run out and buy if someone release a nice kit version....

I would, just for starters, DEFINITELY buy a Helldiver, any of the early Yaks, a Lagg-3 or La-5, any of the Fairey aircraft, any british bomber in general, a plastic Me 410 or Fw189 or Ta154 or Hs129, an updated/non-Trumpeter P-47D Razorback or Wildcat or P-38 Lightning... the list goes on and on really. There's plenty of ways for the manufacturers to get more of my money. Oh and the thing I want most? A diverse high-quality series of Hurricane variants...

As implausible as it might have sounded in the past I'm still hoping Glen & KHM will give us a B-58.......and it doesn't appear to be listed, but KHM will have a Jaguar for us in 2016, and Fly will get us a Wessex this year hopefully.

A new Beaufighter would be a good seller I think. Just like the Revell Mossie, the Revell Beau requires a replacement. I just happen to know a museum that has one and would probably let a company crawl in and around it to produce a new kit.

Don't now if anyone is interested, but i did a rough enumeration and these are the top 25, with the most popular at the top...

Yak 9

Yak 7

Yak 3

Yak 1

La-5

La-7

LaGG 3

Helldiver

LaGG 5

Viggen

Val

B-26 Marauder 

Kate

C-47

Draaken

Whirlwind

Phantom (Brit)

F-106 Delta Dart 

Tigercat

F-4B Phantom

Hurricane

Shrike

JU-52

0/400

Blenheim

It seems VVS modelling is the one area our suppliers need to look at most urgently... :hmmm:

And that is the problem. There are hardly any, none I'd say, that actually have a general appeal. They are all essentially micro niche products.  I'd buy the Whirlwind, FGR2, Hurricane Blenheim in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't touch any of the Russian or Japanese types with a barge pole. Even less so anything with the little crooked cross on the tail. But that is just me! I am a micro niche!!  As are we all.

Of course, if we all became REAL modellers and scratchbuilt our projects, we wouldn't be having this conversation.....

Tim

PS Des is my hero. And Peter Airscale, of course!  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/

Edited by wunwinglow

Le Lapin Mal..

Good list there with some great subjects...many way overdue and I'm sure we will see many of these over the coming years. Here are a few I would add to the list..

Dornier 17Z

Boulton Paul Defiant

Douglas Boston

Theres loads of obscure subject I would like to see, but the above additions are popular subjects I believe. As far as VVVS subjects are concerned, I'm not sure why they largely ignored. Personally, It's not an area that interests me too much. Mainly I think because I model subjects I can relate to. For example, I build Battle of Britain aircraft, and in particular aircraft that were based in the area I live, or Luftwaffe aircraft that came down in my locality. The history is tangible. I can't really relate to the Russian front campaign in the same way.

However, there are lots of people that are interested in this area of aviation history, so there has to be a great untapped market out there. I do treasure my 1/32 resin Yak 11 though...but that's because I used to work on one back in the 1990's  :piliot:

Best regards;

Steve

... Here are a few I would add to the list..

Dornier 17Z

Boulton Paul Defiant

Douglas Boston ...

Same!!! ... Except swap the Boston out for a Havoc ( ... or even better - an interchangeable nose section!!)

Rog :)

Same!!! ... Except swap the Boston out for a Havoc ( ... or even better - an interchangeable nose section!!)

Rog :)

That's what I had in mind Rog! I'd be rooting for a glass nose and gun nose option!

(I think we'll see one some day)

Best regards;

Steve